1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Multiple warning lights on and off intermittently

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Metrohippymom, May 18, 2014.

1. Metrohippymom

Metrohippymom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all:

I get multiple warning lights (!) and parking brake lights and others I can't recall right this second, that come on and off intermittently. The care seems to drive fine although I get 40.5 MPG (don't know if that's low).

My Prius is a 2007. I checked the battery, it's fine. The pump that is often the culprit is fine (ripples/movement in the fluid). I went into diagnostic mode and in the LAN Monitor/EMV found this:

01-DC 190-3F-3
    01-D8 190-3C-1
    01-D5 190-62-9
    01-DB 190-F8-F
    01-DB 110-7F-2

I downloaded the diagnostics code PDF from here and searched the forum and the google webs...couldn't determine what those codes meant.

Meanwhile, anyone have any ideas what could be wrong? Thanks much!

2. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Welcome,
    12v, if it's old I'd make it suspect #1, if it's ever gone ded I'd make it suspect #1, unless you bought it new I'd make it suspect #1

Otherwise I suspect the gas cap leaking, get an obd2 reading done, large retail auto part's stores do it free, Toyota dealers charge, Scangauge2's are 150$ish.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her?

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    How are you determining "it's fine"? If you're on the original 12 volt, it's toast now.

You can run a test via Weird stuff happening? MPGs dropping? Test The Battery | PriusChat after the car has sat overnight or MANY hours. You'll need to tell us the the values in 3 states (ACC, IG-ON and READY, although READY is pretty irrelevant). Or, you could tell us the readings at the terminals via a voltmeter after the car has sat for many hours.

5. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Those LAN Monitor numbers do not give any information about the car, unfortunately.

It will probably be required to get the codes read with an actual Prius code reader. One option is to go to the dealer for their diagnostic report. Another quite cheaper option is to buy the mini VCI reader (eBay or Amazon, for ex.) and read the codes yourself, or via a techie friend, if need be.

40.5 MPG is a bit low, and one of the causes of this is for the 12V battery to have a shorted cell, meaning that it draws excess power from the charging system.

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is the engine oil low?

Concerning the 12 volt battery if its ever had to be jumped it probably needs to be replaced. The car will give you one warning about that battery if its unhappy and that's a red exclamation point in parenthesis momentarily upon boot up.

That red exclamation point is the only light that does not come on with the standard bulb check when you boot up the car.

And yes those Lan numbers are gibberish. They have something to do with the manufacturer of the mfd screen.

Was the pump replaced under the dealer TSB for free?

I don't know why new posters can't post the mileage.

7. Metrohippymom

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone, I'm sorry, I didn't realize I had so many responses, thank you!

Please bear with me if I omit information or don't use correct terminology, however I am good at researching and following directions. Trust me, I didn't want to come here and ask for help without doing my homework first :)

I checked the batter per these instructions here: prius diy website tutorials MFD 12vbatterycheck (sorry I can't post a link yet)

Values, after sitting 24 hours: 12.3
    Power on: 11.3
    Ready Mode: 14.4

It is not the original battery. I believe it was replaced just before I bought the car 2.5 years ago.

My mileage is 102k. ed the fox5, I'm sorry for my omission. I'm not an experienced forum user like you.

Engine oil is at the correct amount. (Not low)

The pump has not been replaced on my watch, it may have been before, I'm not sure, but I tested it in accordance with the instructions in this thread: priuschat website threads suddenly-hit-with-multiple-warning-lights (again can't post a real link yet)

and it passed.

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The 12V battery is not great, but not in terrible condition either. It could stand to be charged but that is probably not the root cause of your car's problems.

I suggest that it is time for you to seek professional assistance to have the diagnostic trouble codes read. Or you can buy Mini VCI on amazon.com which requires a Windows XP or Windows 7, 32 bit OS laptop to run on.

Also, next time the warning lights come on, take sharp photos of the warning lights and any warning icons on the MFD, and post if you would like to promote further discussion. Thanks.

9. Metrohippymom

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you Patrick. I guess I have to bite the bullet and get it checked out. I have pics, but the lights are as I described, so I don't see that helping solve the mystery.

Thanks again...will definitely try that little device first.

10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Your lights that come on and off intermittently, this is while you are driving correct?

11. Metrohippymom

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, exactly.

12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Are the lights that come on random? 1 time it's 1 light, another time it's another light? Or they all come up at once? How long does it take for them to go off?

Has the car been in a major accident? Salvage title?

13. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your OP says "others I can't recall", hence I thought that posting good photos might help our discussion. Each warning light has a specific purpose and meaning.

cwerdna likes this.