1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My 2014 Passat TDI experience so far

Discussion in 'Diesels' started by jhinsc, Nov 16, 2014.

1. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone, I wanted to post my experience so far with my 2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium experience so far. Not much to report at over 8,200 miles. As you can see from my fuelly badge, mileage is slightly below my dearly departed Prius v (lowercase v) Five and average fuel cost is running 1 cent higher per mile - not too bad! Overall comfort is better than the Prius; less headroom of course, but seats overall are more comfy, large trunk but not as much capacity, and back seat is HUGE - lot's of legroom to spare! I know I will have higher operating expenses once I get past the free 2 yr/24k service period, especially the 40k service with it's required DSG transmission fluid/filter change. Just completed a drive to FL and back - great drive! I do like the DSG trans over the CVT - it was annoying last year going up to Asheville, NC and back with the rolling hills the highway takes you over. I love the torque and if I can keep my foot out of it, it returns amazing mileage for the size car it is. Looking forward to keeping the car a long time - of course that was my plan with v5 too. That's assuming another idiot doesn't come along and total my car again...:rolleyes:

Forgot to add; I love the over 700 miles per tank before filling up. Haven't filled up more than 16.6 gallons with an 18.5 gallon tank. Always have to double-check myself that I'm pumping diesel fuel and not gas. A bit jealous than gas prices are way down now, but over the long haul, they likely won't stay that way.

2. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Congrats on the VW, a friend of mine just traded in his Prius with 120K trouble free mikes for a 2014 Passat TDI, and at this time enjoys it as well. It is a nice car, so I am glad he got one to test it out for me to see how it holds up over time......again congratulations and happy driving.

jhinsc likes this.
  3. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks! When people on diesel forums ask about which new car they should consider, depending on their driving habits, I'll push them toward hybrids, specifically any Toyo hybrid with their experience and longevity.

orenji likes this.
  4. IMkenNY

IMkenNY Im just being nosy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thank you for the report! How much more is diesel costing over gasoline? What particulate cleaning system does the Passat use?

jhinsc likes this.
  5. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In some places around here, I've $1.10 difference - stupid. Mostly running about $.60 higher. I usually buy my fuel at Kroeger because of the fuel discounts I can get there, hence the reason my per mile fuel is lower than most.

The Passat does have a diesel particulate filter that requires the addition of Adblue solution periodically. Also, the filter has to be 'regenerated' periodically by heating it up to burn the particulates off. The VW diesel does it by adding just a bit of fuel after the exhaust to get the heat high enough. You can tell it's going through a regen cycle when it you see the idle is at about 900+ rpm when idling. It take about 10 min or so to complete.

IMkenNY likes this.
  6. ewxlt66

ewxlt66 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My diesel is not quite as efficient. =D

jhinsc likes this.
  7. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Want to report to everyone here how clean the inside of the tail pipe is? I imagine it will be totally spotless after 8k miles. Be curious if the US versions will be the same as the ones here, though I'm sure they will be. I worked with a guy who had a Euro Passat diesel a couple years ago and the inside of his tail pipes were clean and shiny like new, even after tens of thousands of hard miles. I wish I could say the same for my Prius. Run my finger inside its tail pipe and it'd be black with soot.

jhinsc likes this.
  8. wxman

wxman Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just to be clear, "Adblue" is not directly involved in the particle reduction system (DPF). Adblue is actually a reducing agent that reduces NOx to N2 and H2O in the selective catalytic reduction (SCR) system.

jhinsc likes this.
  9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Which is more fuel efficient than the non-SCR system in (or was) the Jetta.

jhinsc likes this.
  10. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for the report, JH! Look forward to seeing how it goes.

Rob

jhinsc likes this.
  11. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    My off-the-cuff $/mile calcs are not 1 cent per mile extra.

Jhinsc says that the Prius v(agon) MPG is a tad higher than the diesel, and the diesel fuel is about 60 cents a gallon more expensive.
    If MPG is ~ 40 for both, then the extra cost is 1.5 cents a mile.

Giving the diesel the benefit of the doubt that it will last the 250k+ miles we expect from a Toyota, that is an extra $3,750 in fuel costs.
    I doubt even diesel enthusiasts will say that maintenance and repair of the VW will be as low as the Prius, so it seems pretty clear that OP is paying a non-trivial premium to drive a diesel.

#11 SageBrush, Nov 17, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  12. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm a fan of VWs, having had a few and driven most in the range. I had a brand new rental Passat last week. The 150bhp Bluemotion with DSG. Plenty of go and a lovely motoreay cruiser. If most of my driving was on motorways, I'd like one, but for city driving my gen2 is nicer imo.

I found that it was doing 75+ mpg (uk) on the motorway at around 55-60mph, however a lot less in start stop city driving.

Anyway, Enjoy your new car and please keep us updated!

jhinsc likes this.
  13. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The US version of the Passat is a completely different car to the original one we get in Europe. It's larger, longer, wider, generally fatter overall, or tuned for the market it's sold in. I think it's based on a similar platform to the Skoda Superb.

I would imagine that even with similar engines, it'll not be as economical as the versions sold here. Americans seem to have an issue with VW and often quote poor reliability and build quality problems. It turns out that barely any or none are actually build in Germany. I wonder if that's why they're not held in the same high regard as they are here.

Just googled it. The US Passat is built in Tennessee and the US Golf in Mexico, the US Beetle in Mexico too though recently all (inc EU versions) are now built in Vietnam. I'm wondering if there are issues with quality control at VW Mexico?

Tony D likes this.
  14. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Do you know how much the dealer charges for the urea solution change/replacement? When I was deciding between a Prius and the Jetta Sportwagen TDI, that was a turnoff for me.

Also, if you are planning on keeping the TDI a long time, Google Volkswagen TDI high pressure fuel pump failure. Not a good thing, $5k+ repair. Usually right after warranty expires.

SCH-I535

15. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    IIRC can a be much less expensive maintenance if you DIY.

From the 'web'
    A gallon covers around 2000 miles.

#15 SageBrush, Nov 17, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  16. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    ^^ Just ask Honda

17. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What is your city mpg? Do you know? How much city driving do you do?

You know, here in BG, KY, diesel averages about $0.80 more per gal. than 87/Regular. Its so pitiful to have that big of a difference. I know diesel has more "energy" per gallon but is it that much more energy? Geez.

18. wxman

wxman Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  19. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Maybe not the greenest, maybe not the cheapest, but still better than most of the alternatives IMHO.

Rob

jhinsc likes this.
  20. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Same here. When it first came out about 14 years ago it was about £100 a gallon. But not it can be had at most service stations here, sold next to the windscreen wash and oils.