1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My $35 Sam's Club "genuine" sheepskin seat covers.

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by Mike500, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I bought two sets of these at Sam's Club for $35 a set on clearance in Florida on a 1996 trip to visit my parents, when I lived in Houston, TX. I believe the original price was $80 a set.

I had fake ones that I paid more for on the car I had at that time. Because of the armrest on my 1998 Mazda MPV, I decided not to in stall them.

I finally remember that I had them, today.

The seat and the seat back are genuine sheepskin, with the other parts being synthethic. The headrest covers don't fit that well. I got them in 1995 from MotorSheep in San Diego during a road trip.

I'm glad that I got and kept them. They would cost over $150 a set, today. They are really nice. Installed them today. And, I still have another set for my next car.

Attached Files:

2. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Cushy.

Mike500 likes this.
  3. minniemay

minniemay New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Very nice!!!

Mike500 likes this.
  4. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'm worried you have covered your side impact airbag...

5. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Nope,

The air bag is on the seat to the side and below the seat and clear for deployment.

6. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Based on the picture, it does appears the side airbag is covered up. The side air bag does not deploy out of the side panel of the front seat, but typically from the seam that separates the front side and side panel. Are your seat covers specifically made for seats with side airbags?

7. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  8. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, the panel is below the edge of the seat cover and will allow the airbag to deploy. The edge of the seat cover has been modified to allow no obstruction for deployment. The airbag is on the side of the seat bottom, not on the side of the seat back like some cars. There is a mistake in the manual that came with the car.

9. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Really? From the video and pictures of the side impact test, it seem clear the side airbag is on the side of the seat, NOT on the bottom.

10. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Well,

I guess I'm wrong. I'll have to cut some slits in the seat backs to allow the side air bags to deploy.

Simply put, I'll have to cut the seam between the edge of the front of the seat cover and the side at the seam. If the seam widens, I'll use some very weak sewing thread to hold the edges together. it might not look that good, but I'd be assure that the airbags will deploy.

You learn something every day. And, the best learning experiences come from mistakes.

I stand corrected. Thanks to all for their input.

jhinsc likes this.
  11. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Well, I really just wanted to help keep you safe. They've made revisions to airbags over theyears, and there have been reports of frontal driver airbags breaking fingers and causing the need for facial reconstructive surgery. Who knows what would happen if they deployed under a seat cover. Hopefully they wouldn't start a fire?

I've seen the newer seat covers that no longer cover the sides of the seat. Exactly like what you say, "it might not look that good." They basically have the nice furry side only on the front, if you can imagine that...

12. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No problem - we want you to be safe and not suffer unintended consequences!

13. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks to all,

It was easily done. All I did was to take a pair of scissors, punched a hole though the knit material that made up the sides ok the cover and cut 8 inches up the seam, where the side airbag is on both covers. Only the parts that contact your bottom and your back are real sheepskin.

It doesn't look bad at all, although there is an oval gap where the airbags are hidden under the upholstery.