1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My A/C Slowly Fades Out (Goes from Max to Off Over 10-15 Seconds)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Davebook, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Davebook

Davebook New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have an '05 Prius. I always turn off my AC before powering the car off. I used a sunshade. I don't turn on the AC for about a minute after starting the car and and/or getting up to normal speed. (about 35-40).

The AC will power on more reliably if on MAX. It will start to blow cold and stay on for about 45 seconds. Then, it starts to fade out and turns all the way off. If I allow it to wind all the way down, I can't turn it back on for about 10 minutes or longer. If I turn it off manually when it first starts to fade, the AC will allow me to turn it back on and get more cold air. (The problem is, I'd have to turn the AC on and off every 20 seconds or so to maintain cold air, and I'm not sure that's good for the car or battery...but I've done it before on my way to a wedding...didn't wanna be soaking wet for photos...and the air blew cold the entire 20 minute ride.)

I did discuss this with Toyota mechanics at dealership and they said it could be one of two problems. Problem one $1,000+. Problem two, $3,000+. But, diagnostic will be unrefundable $250 and I will just suffer through the Arizona summers for $3000. Problem is, I'll never be able to sell the car here w/o working AC.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As a temporary measure you can try refilling the refrigerant with one of the R-134A kits that have a low pressure gauge. The spec on the low pressure side is 0.15 to 0.25 MPa (you can look on the web for MPa to psi unit conversion).

Do not exceed the maximum spec of the low pressure. This spec is much lower than the typical advice that will be provided with the refrigerant kit.

Do not use refrigerant that contains compressor oil as generic oil will damage the Prius compressor. I also recommend you refrain from using refrigerant that contains "leak sealer". The effect of that on the Prius system is unclear.

Only use pure refrigerant.