1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My drivers side rear door won't lock (Question answered)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 93dawg, Aug 30, 2015.

1. 93dawg

93dawg Junior Member

SW WASHINGTON the real Washington (Bought 08/15/14
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I searched and read all of the posts regarding door lock actuators but still couldn't find an exact answer for my question. Let me state the conditions and then I will ask the question. My driver side rear door won't lock any way that I try to lock it. I have tried to lock it by using the lock/unlock contol button that locks or unlocks all of the doors at one time on the inside of the drivers door and it won't lock. I have tried to lock it by pushing the rubber button on the outside of the drivers door and it won't lock. I am unable to move the lock button next to door handle in the inside of the door on the rear drivers side door. Which led me to check the child lock lever that one can see when they open the door. Moving child lock lever doesn't do anything either way it is set to change the problem. Also I am able to open the door from the outside or the inside.

All other doors lock and unlock properly.

My question is when there is an actuator motor problem does that make it so that one is unable to move the lock/unlock button on the inside of that door?

By the way the lock/unlock function, on the rear drivers side door, started working properly again yesterday. So whatever the problem it is it is intermittent.

Please read carefully the conditions of the problem before answering my question. Thanks very much for any help anyone can give me

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe something is jammed, why not pull the panel off and have a look see?

3. 93dawg

93dawg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is what I will do if the problem appears again. But I just thought that with all of the people who had lock/unlock problems that one would be able to answer my question. Thanks for your suggestion bisco

4. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I used to have the same problem in my previous car. What happened was that during the summer, some of the components that are plastic/rubber connecting the lock/unlock mechanism would deform from the heat. When I went to lock and unlock, nothing would happen because of this deformation. When the temperatures went down at night, the parts would return to their normal state and lock/unlock would work again.

More than likely, something inside the door panel has gotten loose or damaged from all these years of use. You'll have to take the panel off to see whats going on.

5. 93dawg

93dawg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

CCChoo when this problem occurred for you could you move the lock/unlock button that is on the inside of that door right by the handle to open the door???

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi Dawg,

Since you write that even you are unable physically to move the lock linkage when it is stuck, there seems to be no need to speculate about why the electric actuator can't move it either. Seems like the first order of business is to get it physically out of the door under good light and find out what's getting hung up.

That said, it might be useful to know whether you hear anything (try to) happen when you use the electric lock controls. Is there a sound from the door, but the linkage doesn't move? Or is there no sound at all?

-Chap

7. 93dawg

93dawg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    olddawg supra final1.jpg Got your suggestion as well as bisco's. I will do all suggested the next time it quits working properly.

In the meantime I would still like to know if people having the actuator problem could or could not move the lock control that is right at the door opening lever on the door that has a problem. Surely someone will read this who has had the actuator problem.

I am guessing those with the actuator problem are still able to move lock/unlock control that is at the door opener. And that my problem is as you and bisco have suggested, like something is jammed up so to speak and that I need to take a good look inside of the door.

Of course I won't know until it gives me a problem again. Because I am an old man and I have done years of tearing into things and I don't like to do that much anymore so I don't tear into things anymore until I absolutely have to. At 83 years of age that is how I feel...haha...

You see that red car in my icon that is my 93 Toyota Supra hot rod. Makes about 700 crank hp. I am getting to old to drive it anymore and will be selling it soon. That's me the Olddawg driving my hot rod Supra...haha...

bisco likes this.
  8. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    No, that button next to the handle would not work. The rocker switch on the arm rest would not work. The 4Runner for that year still had the up/down stick that I used to lock and unlock from the inside, and the key would still be able to do it as well.

9. 93dawg

93dawg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay I got what you are saying C3Choo. Thanks for the info.

My lock/unlock button next to the handle was frozen and couldn't be moved and what I am trying to find out is if anyone with a 2nd Gen Prius who had door lock actuator problems could actually move their lock/unlock button or if theirs was frozen like mine was.

So I think I am still looking for someone who had the faulty door lock actuator problem with a 2nd Gen Prius to answer my question.

10. 93dawg

93dawg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can anybody answer my question????

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You can!

We're on the edges of our seats, so when you post back about what it turned out to be, we'll all be able to help the next person with the same issue. :)

-Chap

12. 93dawg

93dawg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Chap you are probably right about me being able to answer "THE" question about the "CAUSE" of my problem.

However my question is not about the "CAUSE" for the problem but I am simply asking for someone who had the actuator problem on a Gen II Prius if their lock/unlock button next to the door opener handle on the inside of the door was movable or unmovable while they were having this problem. Surely there is somebody who had that problem who could answer "my question."

And as I already stated I am old and don't go tearing into things unless I absolutely have to. And since it is working properly now I am not going to touch it...haha... Of course we all know about intermittent problems. However I am still going to pray that it keeps working properly!

I enjoy the chit chat but I still hope somebody can answer "my question."

Jim

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i do too. all the best.(y)

14. Todd Q

Todd Q Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The answer to your question is "Yes". It is possible to lock and unlock the door manually when you are having the actuator problem. I have replaced the actuators on both of my rear doors. I was able to lock and unlock they door manually with the door lock toggle button. I had to do this by opening up the front drivers door or front passenger door and reach back to unlock either of my rear doors when they were having actuator problems.

15. 93dawg

93dawg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Todd thank you very much for an answer to "my question."

So I am guessing my problem had something to do with the child locking mechanism. Since it miraculously started working properly again all by itself I hope it keeps on working properly and that I don't ever have to open it up to find out what the problem was.

I am curious but not curious enough to see the cat killed...haha...

16. Todd Q

Todd Q Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No problem. This forum has been invaluable to me so glad I can help out when I can.

I can't even fathom a guess as to why your toggle switch seized. The only problem I've ever had with a manual door lock was in my first car, a 1973 Buick Riviera. The issue there was a mechanical one with a steel bar that got bent. I have never had any issues with my Toyota handles or manual toggle switches.

My actuators when out on me pretty close to the same time, only 3 months apart. That fix it relatively easy as long as you take it slow removing and disassembling the door lock mechanism. It's not "hard" it's just putsy and if you drop it when it is opened up it would be a mini nightmare to get it back into proper working order.

17. 93dawg

93dawg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

It just seems like to me that it has to have something to do with the child lock system but since I haven't opened up the door I have no idea how or why...haha...

18. Todd Q

Todd Q Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    With my first actuator replacement on my drivers side rear door, the lock mechanism was apparently not put together quite right by me. I was able to open the door 1/2" to 1" before it would catch and not allow it to open all the way. I wasn't sure what was holding it up and tried everything to get it to open. When the door was able to open that 1/2" to 1" I finally tried to get a long screwdriver into that gap and push the child lock toggle to the opposite of what it was and voila it opened. What a relief, I was just a day away from taking it to someone like a locksmith to help get it open.

I'm currently anticipating my front door actuators will get weak enough so that they won't be able to unlock my front doors in the near future. I just hope it doesn't happen in the dead of our MN winter.

Best of luck