1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My feelings about the backup beeper and turning it off

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Bskija, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Bskija

Bskija Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe the beeps are a safety feature. There are instances when a small child or animal can be alerted that you are backing up. This is true when the Prius uses the electric motors which are silent. Things that I consider worthless are heated side view mirrors, spoilers on the rear window (Which blocks some of the view) and headlights always on. If you can't see a vehicle on a beautiful day without lights you shouldn't be driving. Originally, race cars used the spoiler. The idea was to keep the back down when going at 200 mph. It proved to be worthless, but so impressed the beer drinking crowds that they kept it on their race cars.

#1 Bskija, Feb 22, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius backup beeper is inside, to alert the driver. Small children or animals outside won't hear it.

3. Bskija

Bskija Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Then why do my neighbors complain when I'm backing out at at 5 o'clock in the morning. There also is a beep on a mini bus and bear cat (The cat is a small vehicle being used at the moment to clean the snow from the parking places) I can hear 100 yards away? Giant earth movers and other large do not follow trucks are not relevant to the Prius discussion.

#3 Bskija, Feb 22, 2015
  4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ask them.

Or if you purchased this car used, check to see if a previous owner put a real aftermarket beeper on back. If so, it is most likely wired to the backup lights, maybe even built in to a replacement backup light.
    Plenty of big vehicles and construction machines do have real external backup beepers. Not relevant to Prius.

5. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    you have anal neighbors that like to sleep late?

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I routinely drive on roads where daytime headlights are a life saver. Those who drive without headlight on them, take their life in their own hands.
    Two lanes, 55 MPH, dead flat, 8 mile straightaways. Folks WILL pass, if they cannot judge how far away you are, they will pass inappropriately. The distance between your headlights is an excellent measure of your distance.

alekska likes this.
  7. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It gets ride of fog on the mirrors. So if it’s worthless then mirrors are worthless too.

8. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    must be nice to live in a dry climate

9. Bskija

Bskija Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I buy a Prius every 3 years. The one I have now a 2011 Prius purchased on 12/28/11. I intend to buy a 2015 Prius in the spring,

I wouldn't consider 5 o'clock in the morning late.

#9 Bskija, Feb 22, 2015
  10. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    you have light-sleeper anal neighbors that like to sleep late?

11. Bskija

Bskija Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is simple, have some Prius with a back up beeper and stand in back of it with an ear horn or a roll up newspaper.

#11 Bskija, Feb 22, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  12. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I usually got my radio on so that folks can hear me. that stupid reverse beeper had to go!

13. Bskija

Bskija Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why would you alert the driver. Unless he is drunk or high on drugs he should know he put it in reverse. On my display what gear you are in at the moment is lite up. Why doesn't the other selections in the gear shift beep? Why in regular cars there is no beep when you are backing up by even a small amount of cars? If there is a need for a beep or light it should be when you put it in park. A common mistake for people driving the Prius for the first time. This is especially true for strangers driving your Prius not accustom to a button to park it. I had a man in the gas station change the oil and he had it on a lift with out pushing the park button.

#13 Bskija, Feb 22, 2015
  14. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    "Why would you alert the driver. Unless he is drunk or high on drugs he should know he put it in reverse. Why doesn't the other selections in the gear shift beep? Why in regular cars there is no beep when you are backing up by even a small amount of cars?"

US regulators were concerned that the Prius did not 'clunk' when you put it in Reverse, like normal automatics. Toyota offered to make it beep instead, as that was easier than an artificial 'clunk' to indicate Reverse. You were assuming it was an aid for the driver, when it is to satisfy a bureaucrat.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  15. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This has been discussed ad nauseum in many past threads over the years. I'm not going to rehash.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  16. Bskija

Bskija Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am a man driving since 1955 without lights on in beautiful weather. In NJ in 1955 car insurance was not mandatory. I first purchased car insurance some time between 1956 and 1960. In all of that time the only charge against my insurance company was $10 for a broken antenna by a teenager. My eyesight equity is 20/200. I believe the bulb between your ears is brighter than headlights. I have driven roughly 708,000 miles and I am not counting my driving a van for my company I worked for. A symptom for low vitamin a is you take longer going from light to dark to get adjusted to the change. Such as going into a movie theater on a bright sunlight day into a dark theater. You wouldn't believe how many laps I sat on in movie theaters!. When you approach a car with lights especially high beams or out of alignment ones a person low on vitamin a is momentarily blinded. I didn't take my life in my hands, so far, so good.

Mirrors are a must, but I have never used heaters in 59 years of driving. I do it the old fashion way I wipe them.

#16 Bskija, Feb 22, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  17. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Things change, thankfully

Stability control, abs (brakes), heated outside mirrors so the driver can see, daytime running lights so the other driver can see, and the Prius has a reverse beep because it backs up with the electric motor only, no ice (internal combustion engine) noise, so to remind the driver what gear they are in the car beeps, if you don't like the beep, disable it, it's easy.

18. Bskija

Bskija Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We can end the ad nauseam just by having someone stand behind the car to see if he hears it.

Don't go hard on my friendly neighbors, there are no cows to milk.

Shame. after Toyota went to all that trouble.

Have someone in the back to see if he can hear it. Make sure he has fresh batteries in his hearing aid.

19. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Been there, done that.

Try it on your specific car. If you are not the original owner, it could have been modified since the first sale.

20. Bskija

Bskija Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    None of the shifts clunk. My Prius beeps like crazy if you don't do it correctly.

I was driving down the highway with my new Prius. Not being accustom to the car My hand touched the park button. I was doing 65 mph. Everything went dead, but I had some momentum left from my 65 mph to coast to a stop. I was convinced I did serious damage to the car. When I pushed the start button she started normally and I drove off as if nothing happen.

Mirrors are a must. I simply wipe them as needed. I look at the practicality of something and is it worth the money. We don't have the same money Gates has and we must look at the necessities in life instead of the luxury in life. I hope I'm wrong that our quality of life and living standards are going to experience a muddy road ahead!