1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My first red !exclamation!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Pandalover, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Pandalover

Pandalover Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have had 3 or 4 warnings in the last two days when trying to start my car.

Sometime the red exclamation comes on and twice the mfd came up with a message about 'P' and parking on a flat surface.

I have a 09 gen2 and I'm on my original battery. Was wondering if its an early sign of 12v battery failure or if its something else?

Would appreciate some assistance before I take it to the garage.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Please run the test at Weird stuff happening? MPGs dropping? Test The Battery | PriusChat after the car has sat MANY hours or overnight. Please tell us the 3 values (not just 1). Don't go changing the battery first until you tell us the values...

If you have HIDs, you can avoid unnecessary cycles on the lights by toggling between off and parking light positions.

Weird stuff can start happening w/a low or bad 12 volt. Don't waste $ on having a dealer "test" the 12 volt (07 Prius Dead - Any Guesses? | PriusChat).

3. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just buy an Optima, you are due!

4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The OP is in the UK where the Optima is now with delivery £206 or $330. Why pay this ludicrous price when in the UK we can buy Prius direct fit well known branded batteries with a 5 year guaranty for £50 or $80. Even the OEM battery is only £90. Unlike the US we seem to have a much better range of choice when it comes to batteries and the Optima must be near the bottom.

John (Britprius)

5. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Pandalover, Varta and Bosch both do Prius 12 volt batteries for the Prius with up to 5 year guaranty and this is almost certainly your problem, although a little early compared to most peoples experience with the OEM battery.

Just make sure you get the version with the positive post on the left with the posts closed to you (the one with the posts the other way round is for the gen1 Prius).

Do not go to Hal---ds as they only list one battery for all the Prius "the wrong one" plus they are expensive. There are other batteries with much better capacity that will fit in the space provided but require sometimes a little work with the terminals.

If you need more information let me know.

John (Britprius)

6. Pandalover

Pandalover Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have not had a chance to test from cold but here is a picture of the error and the battery after a 30 mile run home.

Britprius: are they the best options to look for in the uk. Everyone talks about the yellow top but it looks tricky to get hold of here.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360345638.285740.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360345667.667027.jpg

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i suppose 9.5v is bad.

8. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Forget the yellow top it is very pricey and offers no advantage over other batteries in the UK at much lower prices.

Motorist shops will have Varta and Bosch from about £40 up to £55 dependent on guaranty length "up to 5 years" other makes include Lucas And Exide.

There are some really excellent mobility wheel chair batteries with up to 60% more capacity but the terminals as standard are different, screw in adapter posts are available but sometimes have to be ordered and judging by your voltages it's time you do not have.

In this country I would by the OEM battery over the Optima yellow top. Less than half the price for the same capacity and again the Optima has to be ordered and I am not sure it is available here with the correct terminal posts.

I can post Ebay links to suitable batteries but your local motor shop will have them or get them in hours. As I said in my previous post do not go to Hal----s nearly all the information they have on the Prius is wrong. Items I have found wrongly listed include battery, oil, and plugs.

John (Britprius)

9. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry mate, I missed that little fact when I read the post this AM at 5:15'ish!
    Yeah, that price for a Yellowtop is rubbish! Go with a standard replacement. It just will not be as hefty as a Optima!
    And yes, 9.5 volts = Kiss Of Death!!!

10. Pandalover

Pandalover Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like I know what I'm upto tomorrow.

Funny really as my mpg has been going up over the last week as its been getting warmer and I had read that mpg loss is one of the signs of impending doom.

Once again thank you everyone for your help :)

11. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    One other small point when you fit the new battery the car will not go into ready mode first time, you will have to shut it down and reboot a second time for it to get into ready mode.

You will also have to reset the drivers window by powering it down about half way then power up and hold the up button for a few seconds. You will also loose radio preset stations.

John (Britprius)

12. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Your battery be bad, baby.

13. Pandalover

Pandalover Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    All sorted. They put a numax in rather than a Bosch :( that they originally offered. Will have to see how i get on.

Thanks again for your help everyone.

14. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Could you give us the cost and warranty of your battery, not one I had named but still an excellent battery.

John (Britprius)

15. Pandalover

Pandalover Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    £62.95 inc vat and fitting. Not sure on warranty. I asked if it was 4 year and they said yes but I don't have any proof.

16. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Not a bad price considering it includes fitting, but I would go back and ask for proof of warranty.

John (Britprius)