1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My fuel efficiency graph over 100000 km's worth of fillups

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Eug, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    On my 2004 Prius, I have recently hit 100000 km, which is a little over 60000 miles. I usually do not like to keep my cars this long, so I wondered if I should sell, but I think I'll wait until 150000 km or so before I start thinking about selling it, unless repairs start to get overly expensive.

Being the PriusChat geek that I am, I record all my stats for the gas fill-ups. Including all road trips and regular commutes, it seems I'm averaging about 2.6 fill-ups per month, although with regular commutes only it's more like 2 per month.

The peaks on the graph (over 9 L/100 km) are the coldest days of the winter, with city driving only. The troughs (below 5 L/100 km) are in the summer, with highway driving. Normal summer city driving gets me in the 5.5-6 range usually.

Notes:

1) I'm not an efficient driver. I accelerate quickly when the light turns green.

2) I'd estimate this is 90%+ city driving. My commute from 2004 to 2007 was about 12-13 km each way. My commute from 2007 to now has been about 15-16 km each way. Both are through city streets. No highway on my commute, and the speed limit ranges from 40-60 km/hr (which is 25 to 37 mph)… which means I'm usually driving in those areas at 50-70 km/hr… until I hit a turn or a light.

3) In the summer I usually keep the AC on (21-22C).

4) In the winter I usually keep the heat on (17-19C).

5) These are calculated L/100 km. This sometimes differs somewhat from what the multi-function display tells me.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for the info Eug. That looks like a pretty low average. Just visually it looks like an overall average of only about 6.8L/100k (34 MPG).

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It would be interesting to have summer and winter labeled.

4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Nice Tracking. 100,000 km is barely broken in :)

Below is the tracking I do. I stopped putting in fuel economy in late 2006, but I continue to track all repairs and maintenance you might find interesting. Distance units in miles. Cheers!

Attached Files:

5. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Graph with some dates included.

Yeah, a low average. I'm a moderately aggressive driver (but not an @ss driver), and they're mostly short haul inside-the-city trips with lots of lights, with Canadian winters and full AC in the summer. My life average is 6.39 L/100 km, or 36.8 miles per US gallon. I get much better fuel efficiency on the highway.

I have all the receipts for my repairs, but I have been too lazy to track it all. However, I think I will have to collate some of the data and watch it more closely now since I'm out of warranty.

BTW, my average fillup is after 469.4 km, at almost exactly 30 L per fillup. I can count on one hand the rare times I've hit 40 L.

Graph with a few dates is included.

Attached Files:

6. tpfun

tpfun New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Location ? Canada's a big place.

I assume you haven't modded the Prius given what you said in the OP.

7. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Toronto. Car is parked outside, so I must admit that contrary to Toronto bylaws, in the winter I sometimes let the car warm up for 5 mins or so with the heater on while I scrape the windows before I drive away.

What do you mean by mods? Definitely not a plug-in mod given those mediocre mileage numbers. ;) It is a Package B with the Smart Key system and the JBL stereo etc.

My commute is 15 km, but it takes usually just under 30 minutes in the morning and maybe 35 minutes in the evening because of rush hour traffic and the the fact it's through city streets.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think parking outside in TO is a mileage killer. Our trips are fairly similar to yours, but some differences:

1. West coast of BC, more temperate winters.

2. Garage kept, so no hassles defrosting windows, and a bit warmer.

3. Block heater used, religously, for the first start of the day.

4. Last but not least, and this one at least you could try: we keep it in ECO, stay at or under speed limits, and generally accelerate very gently, though we're not nuts about it. Also, tend stay in the right lane, and just generally drive conservatively.

If I'm driving I've typically got that bar graph of fuel economy displayed, I'm checking that and the real-time fuel consumption meter, and do what I can to keep the consumption down, or bump it into electric mode.

We've had the car since mid-November of last year, and I just got in gear about tracking mileage in a spreadsheet as of Jan01/11. To date the average calculated "mileage" is 5.0 liter/100km, with the in-dash reading 5.4. :rolleyes:

This is using 195/65-15 Michelin X-Ice snow tires, on steel Corolla rims, at 40~42 psi. I'm not exactly sure what's going to happen, going back to our stock Michelin Pilot 215/45-17 on alloys, it might be a wash, due to the wider tire, not sure.

9. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Oh yeah, the tires. I've had it up to 37 psi, but every time I bring it to the dealer they drop it back to 35. Lately I've just left it there, but that's just because I was too lazy to use a hand pump to pump it back to 37ish in the cold of winter...

The house I bought has a garage, but the previous owner turned it into a home theatre room. Completely insulated and drywalled, with even forced air ducts, and nice hardwood floors. I almost thought of returning it back into a garage, but the GF thought that's a dumb idea. I think she's right... but it's not so good for the gas mileage. ;)

10. Tekdeus

Tekdeus Shifted to Green

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got my '04 just last December, and started off with a 38 MPG average in Vancouver winter weather parking outdoors. Between a 80% grill block, block heater install, and Michelin Energy Saver tires at 44/42psi I'm up to 50+ with careful driving. A significant difference, try giving those mods a shot. Your heater will be hotter sooner with the block heater too.

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That Toronto cold weather, being parked outside, city drives and quick acceleration all contribute to the mileage the OP is getting. If he wants to improve it, at minimum, grille blocking during the winter should help a bit besides better heater use while the ICE is cold along w/not warming it up. :)

That 36.8 is fairly close the to 35 mpg city that CR achieved at http://web.archive.org/web/20080618...-advice/most-fuelefficient-cars-206/index.htm.

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We had similar issues with (Honda) dealership bleeding tire pressures back to specification. I found if you draw it to their attention, they'll leave your pressures alone. Or they'd readily put them back up if you notice it post-service, before leaving the dealership.

Also, hand pumping automotive tires is a chore: gas station compressed air is much more convenient. In our area at least, Chevron air is still free. :thumb:

Try to add air at a nearby station, when refueling. If you must raise pressures on fully warmed up tires, check them with a reliable gauge prior to adding, note how much they've risen, and adjust your target pressure accordingly (aim high). You can always overshoot a pound or two, and then check them cold the next morning.

The few times I've had to start up the car when it's been parked outside and frosted up, I'm always amazed by the time/gas it takes to get windows clear. A garage, or windshield cover or whatever, will make a big difference.

13. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    I accelerated quite slowly and travelled at moderate speeds today…

But that's because I had probably 400 lbs of tiles in the back. The suspension didn't like it much...

14. Tekdeus

Tekdeus Shifted to Green

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can buy custom-made windshield covers on eBay to prevent frost. They work great, just put it on the night before, and take it off before you drive. No need to scrape ice.

15. msfraytet

msfraytet New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How to access 100000 km efficiency graph? Mike

16. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model: