1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My gas mileage (L/100 km) for the last 11 years.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Eug, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    My Prius 2004, may she rest in peace (car crash).

Here is my fuel usage data - calculated L/100 km - for the last 11 years. Calculations were based on km travelled vs. L filled. A couple of the results are kinda off, because they're small fillups. Also, a couple of data points are approximations because I lost the receipt before I could enter it, but the number of times that had happened in the last 11 years I can count on one hand. Otherwise all the data is accurate.

Note that I don't try to save gas at all, with somewhat lead foot driving at times, and the vast majority of this is city driving.

Prius2004GasMileage.png

Robert Holt and uart like this.
  2. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Interesting data Eug. It very clearly shows the seasonal variation in fuel economy.

I assume from the data that you're in the northern hemisphere, and are probably somewhere with reasonably cold winters.

Your typical summer fuel economy is about 40 MPG (5.9L/100k), but your typical winter FE is only about 30 MPG (7.8L/100k). Yeah that's definitely "lead foot" territory for a Prius. :)

3. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Yes, I live in Toronto. Today was -17C (1F) in the morning.

BTW, some of the bad mileage in the winter is because I don't have a garage. Especially recently now that I have a little kid, I often turn on the car and leave it to run 10 minutes to warm up the car before I put my little girl in.

4. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for posting!
    Sorry about your car, but hope everyone was uninjured.

5. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Thanks. My daughter and I (the only two in the car) had no injuries, and everyone in the other two cars were also safe. The only thing is it totally freaked out my daughter (age 2), and the fact it freaked out our daughter totally stressed out my wife too. :( However, everyone's happy now.

If I buy a new Prius or Prius v, I'll keep the same data.

BTW, my Hyundai Sonata rental is hovering at around 13 L/100 km right now. :eek:

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oye. Sorry to hear that. Glad everyone's ok!

Man, there's something about TO traffic lol. (I guess the weather too). Our 2005 is hovering around 6L/100km now because of a shorter commute. When new, I could do below 5.0L/100km easily and often in the 4.2-4.5L/100km range.

7. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    We must be really lucky with the weather and traffic here. I'm literally always in the range of 4.0 to 4.4 L/100km every tank! :)

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Weather :). The heater runs the engine continuously. The A/C drain on the battery just runs the engine until the battery is charged to 3 bars :). Cold weather starts hurts mileage. My summer mileage is closer to yours but definitely not consistently in the 4.0-4.4L/100km range. I may drop in there a few times in the summer but it depends.