1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My New 2010 Prius II! Accessories and Upgrades...?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by worldaven, Aug 10, 2013.

1. worldaven

worldaven Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello,

I just traded in my 04 Kia Optima and picked up my "new-to-me" 2010 Prius with 28K miles and need help prioritizing the accessories and upgrades that I should make. I spent some time on this board and on the Prius Chat Shop and below is my "wish" list.

Which ones should be "Must haves" vs. "Nice to Have" vs "When you win the lotto"? What is missing from this list? I have a budget of $400. Thank You!
    • Rear bumper protector
    • OEM All Weather Floor Mats (I'd consider the Husky mats, too, but a bit more $)
    • OEM Cargo Mat
    • HeatShield SunShade
    • Mudguards (European Version)
    • Weathertech Window Deflectors
    • Sharkfin Antenna
    • Wheelskin Steering Wheel Cover
    • Wet Okole Seat Covers
    • Horn
    • Window Tinting
    • K&N Air Filter

IMG_20130803_151718.jpg

nedear88 and spiderman like this.
  2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I suppose it really depends on how that steering wheel feels to you.

But I really hated the scratchy, plastic feel of the steering wheel, so for me getting the wheelskin cover was a MUST. It's a little work to get them stitched on, and there are some good threads right here with advice. But for me personally, I found getting the cover an upgrade I could not ignore. The Prius has one of the worst feeling steering wheels. I personally simply bought the solid leather one...not perforated. I love it. Returns a nice smooth leather feel to the wheel. Looks good too...

But if you get one, look up the threads on installation and take your time. I think I could do a better job now, but first time through it was a nightmare trying to stitch that cover on with the waxed thread.

I'm not done with my Prius, but my purchases so far include:

Weathertech Digital Fit floormats front and rear: I like them, they are fine. I don't know if I would purchase them again, only because I have found that while they fit great, and actually protect well, they are difficult to keep looking clean. I got the light gray color and they show any dirt tracked in, so maintenance is relatively high. I think if I was purchasing again? I'd go with the rubber Husky or the rubber Weathertechs.

Weathertech Cargo Liner: This was an expensive but nice purchase. I have no complaints. Looks great. Fits perfect. Flexible.

Custom Made Sunshield: I use this a lot in the summer. Made to fit the Prius Windshield. Another utility MUST, IMO.

Things I still Want, but have not yet purchased:

Rear Bumper Protector
    Shark Fin Antenna
    Push Button Shifter Replacement

When investing into upgrades I tend to spend for "protection" and utility first, and then spend on cosmetic's and ease.

So those were the priorities of my initial purchases. The Wheelskin pushed itself to the top, the first few days I tried to drive the Prius with what I would call one of the worst feeling steering wheels on any vehicle I have ever owned.

3. worldaven

worldaven Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would agree about the steering wheel. Will get that. It was raining today and I had the window cracked open and drops of water were entering the cabin, so I think I'll invest in that, too. The notion of spending on protection and utility first is a good one. So I think mudguards are also on my "short list"

Thanks.

4. nedear88

nedear88 My 1st Prius.

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Congrat on the new ride, I think your most priority upgrade should be the HID headlight upgrade, the stock halogen headlight is o.k not great, I have almost all of your items you listed in the post (see my signature). I recommend the extra add on to your list.

HID headlight upgrade
    Strut Tower bar
    TRD rear sway bar

5. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Solely for looks, I got the fog lights. I didn't like those inserts. I think I've used them twice in the 3 years I've had them.

I really like the door guards, the ones that go on the edge of the door. It's a pretty tight fit in my garage and my door will hit a wooden cabinet every once in awhile.

The Stage 10 shifter is next on my list.

When I get the money, I think I'll get the Ottonavi HU.

Before you get the mudguards, just know people here report an MPG hit. Not much but it can pile on, say if you also take off the wheel covers.

I waffle on the shark fun cover. Some people report less reception. But I think the cover is better looking.

I installed the lighted sill guards (or whatever they are called). Looks great at night when you open the doors.

Also, especially if you have a wife or girlfriend in your car, they will like it if you put LED lights in the interior, especially the ones for the sun visor. The stock ones are dim and yellow. You might do this first as it's probably cheaper than most of the rest.

Mike

6. worldaven

worldaven Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes to the HID headlights. I'm intrigued by the Strut Tower and TRD rear sway bar...not sure what they do? Help make the car more stable?

7. worldaven

worldaven Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, to the LED lights. That's a good one. My girlfriend will appreciate that :) I've read a lot on this forum about the different HU. Not sure what to do with that. I like to keep the factory look, but all the one's from China seem to have lots of bugs. Door guards are a good idea, too. Also thinking about body side moldings for those parking lot dings...

8. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Gotta keep the special lady happy. And same with me on the Chinese HU, which us why I haven't pulled the string on that one. I think you are headed in the right direction. But deciding where to spend the money first can be problematic and fun at the same time. Good luck.

Mike

9. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  10. nedear88

nedear88 My 1st Prius.

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, with these 2 add on it will make the car much much more fun to drive, better and flatter corning, at highway speed (80+ mph) smooth and stable as driving 35 mph, this setup is less expensive modification without spending $$$$$ compare to adding those Prius Plus package lower spring, tires and rims.