1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My observations of prii in west coast

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusLoverTexas, Dec 20, 2013.

1. PriusLoverTexas

PriusLoverTexas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I am on a driving trip in west coast and one thing I have observed - Lots of Prii in California! I was in LA two days ago and I could notice at least 3-4 Prius in every traffic signal. Also most of the cabs were Prius too. Not only that even in Beverly hills, the Prius stood proudly in company of Porsches, BMWs and Lambhorginis! Driving up north to silicon valley, I saw the same trend there too!

Coming from Austin, TX where sighting Prius is not that common, I am really astonished to see so many Prii in California. What's the secret that Californians know of that others don't know yet?

2. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    HOV privileges and Hollywood celebs telling them "green" is sexy. That, and have you seen the price difference between CA and TX fuel?

HaroldW likes this.
  3. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Because, what ever trends start on the West Coast it takes at least 10 to 20 years to make it to the East Coast. Maybe 10 years in your case living in Texas. As you can see I live in Virginia where red neck trucks rule and common sense to save money each month goes out the door. Out here it's trucks, guns and beer as a priority in that order and unfortunately women and hybrid cars are last on their list.

4. matt b.

matt b. Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    most of us are frugal would like to save it when we can and we like to get great gas mileage when we can so that makes us very very smart

5. matt b.

matt b. Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    we know what works!!!! doesn't take us long to know that we like reliability,dependability, and fantastic gas mileage.
    yes some of us actually use our head for more than a hat rack unlike the guy who mentioned trucks beer and guns

6. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Long term $4 a gallon gas, vs cheap gas in Texas means a lot more Prii in California and when gas gets below $4 Prius sales new and used suffer.

7. somebody7

somebody7 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think youre right on this. You can find gas around here around $2.90.
    Also, here in Texas, there are trucks everywhere. Not to mention that there are Texas Edition trucks of every kind (Ford, Dodge, Chevy, Toyota), and even Texas Edition SUVs. Also, I've noticed around here in Austin that most Prii drivers are either women (like 90 percent) and older men. I hardly ever see anyone under 40 in a Prius.

8. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Wow I'd love to be under 40 and in my Prius, but not in Texas.

9. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    I live in the West Coast of Canada and everytime I go south to seattle, I see a ton of Priuses and Subaru's. Perhaps the gas here in the West costs more, pushing ppl to buy Priuses!

It is certainly why I bought one :)

10. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's definitely a techie thing also. I'm 10 miles N of Tesla mfg. plant in Fremont, CA. Quite a few Prius', I see some Model S in carpool lane every day. Also PiPs, leafs, Volts in carpool lane.

Although there are quite a few Prii's, there isn't a big slice of hybrids in general, and unfortunately, the majority of passenger vehicles on the road have an average fuel economy that begins with the number 2. Kinda sad actually.

11. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four

...and the price difference on everything else as well.

California has the fourth-highest cost of living in the nation at 132 percent of the national average. Texas has the second-lowest cost of living at 90 percent.

spiderman likes this.
  12. jlim888

jlim888 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I am also 10 miles north of Tesla plant... Indeed, quite a few Prii and I'm one of them! I carpool with my wife on 880 & 237, in a regular Prius hatchback. Thought about getting a PIP or Leaf, but our household is already on PG&E Tier-3 electricity rate of $0.33 per KWh:cry:

13. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There are many brilliant minds in CA, but the state as a whole has lost their minds. Just refer to the post below...

That's over 3x the electric rate that I pay. I estimated that electricity costs for an electric vehicle would be roughly 1/3 the cost of gasoline in my area. At your rates, it would be about breakeven.

14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just picture, for whatever reason, you're temporarily driving another car, say a rental on vacation, or a loaner during repairs. Kinda depressing? The Prius is a bit addicting...

[This really is starting to get weird: Yesterday, I posted regarding a new tire, and when I logged on this morning there was a tirerack ad for the selfsame tire. And just now at top of page, there's a banner ad for Hertz Rent A Car, LOL.]

15. PriusLoverTexas

PriusLoverTexas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five

I agree :)

I had a kia soul rental (which is actually very nice for a small car) but I do miss pampered by DRCC, LKA and the driving video game of Prius :D

16. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ....Fore you must move to north VA...Prii and women both common here! As far as Prii, I am not sure why so popular up here, but in years past there were some decent HOV priviledges.

17. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As to Southern California, I think part of it is historical. For those of you who remember back in the 1970s, the air was a mess. So much smog that you couldn't breathe. Since unleaded gas was required, the air has been considerably better. And I also believe with the Prius and other cars getting better gas milage, less junk is being spewed into the air. I like to think of myself as attempting to help the air quality (though, of course, taking only public transportation would be better).

Mike

18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not weird at all, this is the brave new word of targeted advertising using Big Data. Get ready for lots more of it, with ever increasingly accurate aim at your wallet.

19. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This is off-topic, but it amazes me that in this age of endless information being readily available, advertising is still such a motive force. Whenever I find a need for something, I research products to find not only the best performance, but best price. How advertising is still relevant will never be fully understood by me.

20. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That takes some effort, and lots of people soak up what is spewed on the tube and look no farther. If people really researched and looked with an open mind, there'd be lots more Prius vehicles on the road. The only down side to that is, they'd cost as much as a Volt to purchase.:mad: