1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Prius fuel gauge is off, and it's freaking me out!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by khm, Sep 4, 2015.

1. khm

khm New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My fuel gauge has been acting strangely lately, and it's weirding me out! I started this week with a full tank of gas, and after about 70 miles of driving on the odometer, the fuel gauge dropped to just under half a tank of gas. (I usually get 230-300 miles per tank, so this can't possibly be right.)

The same thing happened just the other week. I had only driven about 100 miles when the fuel gauge went from mostly full to barley full. I freaked out and went to the gas station. Only, my car would only accept 2 gallons of gas.

My question is: can I reset this so that it works properly? If it can be fixed, is there a simple way I can fix it, or do I have to take it to the dealer?

If anyone else has this problem, is it even worth fussing over, or can I just leave it as is and fuel my car when my odometer says I've gone a certain number of miles. For example, right now I know I have at least another 200 miles left for this tank of gas, but I don't want the fuel gauge to drop too low and freak me out while I'm driving...

2. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when i had a blatter, i just multiplied my average mpg by 8, and filled up around there.

4. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    In addition to the above ^, anytime the electrical gremlins begin to appear is a good time to check the status of your auxiliary 12V battery.