1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Prius goes "nudge" when the engine turns on

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Troy Heagy, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    No audible sound but a definite jerk. I will be cruising along at 40, the car running in EV mode, and then the engine turns on & the car momentarily "nudges" backwards (change in acceleration) before resuming its normal smooth operation. I notice it even when I'm not paying any attention.

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Does it get better once the vehicle is warmed up?

What you describe just seems like the normal operation of the hybrid when it transitions from EV to Engine or mixed operation. As seamless as Toyota tries to make it, if the engine is cold, there is a slight nudge.

Really how bad is it? With my Prius I barely notice it, and probably won't notice it, if I'm not paying attention.

If your transition is abnormally harsh? Maybe you need to talk to a service department.

At least with my Prius, I would say Toyota does an amazing job of creating a "synergy" between the electric motors, engine and EV and "normal" drives.

A huge plus IMO of Prius ownership is how smooth and IMO quiet the operation of the vehicle is, especially in comparison to regular full ICE vehicles, with standard transmissions.

I can't judge over the internet your situation, but I would say if it is jarring enough that it is bothering you, or always noticeable, then your experience is different than mine. For me the Hybrid Synergy Drive is amazingly smooth, despite on cold days, an occasional noticeable "nudge".

WilDavis likes this.
  3. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Could it be the rotational force translating into the frame of the car? Improper or bad engine mount would cause you to feel more of what the motor is doing.

4. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Normal, mine has done the same for over 70k miles now.

trentofdestiny and WilDavis like this.
  5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It isn't perfectly seamless. If you want something smoother and more seamless, get the Ford Fusion Hybrid -- the original one, which didn't need an EPA label downgrade.

6. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ChuggyPig does much the same thing, which I've always thought to be about normal!

DROID4 ?

7. C Saboa

C Saboa New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am a new owner of a 2014 and have not felt this nudge at all. The 2007 I still own has a slight transition between modes at 195000 miles.

SM-G900T ?

#7 C Saboa, Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  8. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    The car is thoroughly warm.
    It's the feel of the EV motor spinning-up the engine to match the car's 40 mile/hour speed.

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are two MGs (motor-generators), and both* are spinning whenever the car is moving. The ICE doesn't need to match vehicle speed at all, and usually does not. For this purpose, it is either spinning (rpm >= 992) or not.

(* neglecting a corner case where MG1 can be stationary if the ICE rpm is just perfect for vehicle speed. This is an infrequent and transient condition.)

#9 fuzzy1, Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  10. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    (shrug) Well something is making the car momentarily lose speed when the engine ignites. That causes the "nudge" I feel at 40 mph

11. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Normal, mine does it as well. It did seem to become a bit more noticeable as the car got older.

I am going to guess that there's now a bit more wear on my motor mounts, which may be why the jolt is more noticeable. My Gen 3 is at 90k now.

12. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    same here.

13. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is your Prius a Goer?
    Know what I mean, Know what I mean? Nudge nudge? Wink Wink? Nudge nudge...say no more.....say no more....

Is your Prius a sport? Nudge, nudge? Snap snap...say no more...nudge, nudge...wink, wink...

KhaPhoRa likes this.
  14. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Do you mean is my Prius a "sport"? Well, I suppose you could say it has a "Sports Bra", and if you look in my albums, you might see some photos! You into photography eh? Know what I mean? Nudge, nudge, wink, wink! Say no more! Click, click! :eek: