1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Prius is making noise

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by shah, Jul 25, 2013.

1. shah

shah Love My Prius

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My Prius makes noises from time to time. It is coming from the right side of the trunk but I can't pin-point. It appears as if something is rubbing against something else, or something is trying to engage but is not able to engage. The Prius is otherwise running fine. I have noticed that when it starts making this sound if I raise the A/C temperature, it stops. It happens while I am driving and it happens when the car is still. Again it doesn't happen all the time, it just happens from time to time.

Recently my water pump died and was replaced under recall warranty. I thought this was it, but I still get the noise.

Any ideas?

2. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Checked out the HV battery fan? Maybe it needs cleaning?

3. shah

shah Love My Prius

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks for the response. Where is it located? Is it something I can do or take it to a dealer?

4. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi shah,

I am going to take a wild guess at this. You might want to check the fan blower for the traction battery.

I am attaching a pdf file that you can look through. It details how to check the blower as well as how to remove it and replace it. It is possible that the blower is stopped up and not spinning properly (noise?). It is important that the fan is operating normally, otherwise the traction battery may not be properly cooled.

I have no idea what the dealer would charge for this service. For some reason Toyota does not have this item in their maintenance schedule, but it does seem to be something that needs to be addressed from time to time.

FWIW, are you getting a good flow now in the coolant bottle for the inverter pump since it was repaired?

Here is a link you can study that discusses the problem.

Luscious Garage | Blog | Prius battery cooling fan cleaning, P0A82

Remember I am only guessing at this point.

Ron

Attached Files:

SteveLee likes this.
  5. shah

shah Love My Prius

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Ron,

I was hoping you would respond. Even after going through the document I am not able to tell where exactly the blower is located. Maybe I will have to be in front of the car to match up the pictures.

Now which one is traction battery? It's not the hybrid one, is it? Is the regular 12 V battery, or there is a 3rd battery of some sort in Prius.

The coolant bottle seems to have vibrations when the car is in READY mode and the engine is not kicked in. So I am assuming it is working. I was hoping that it would take care of this issue, because this issue started a couple of weeks back and then the water pump failed.

I am not sure if I am liking the fact that Prius is having so many problems only at 38k miles. I had the water pump issue, and this issue now, the mpg's are dropping every day (currently about 38 to 40 mpg), and on top of it my trunk handle's rubber is melted (which appears to be a common problem as well).

Thanks.

6. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The traction battery is the "hybrid one" as you wrote. There are only two batteries in the Prius.

Is there any way we could get together? I might be able to look at some things and maybe help you.

I could meet you at a place you choose if you feel comfortable. You can start a conversation also if you want to keep this private.

The blower motor I mentioned is in the rear of the trunk behind some panels. Mike @ Tejas Toyota quoted me a price of $210 to clean out the blower motor and about $560 to replace it. It would be best if one could do the work themselves especially if the blower only needs to be cleaned out.

Take a look at the link I posted above, it shows what the blower looks like when it is clogged up.

Ron

7. Eclipse1701d

Eclipse1701d Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
  8. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Did you by any chance upload the pics when you did the second one you mentioned in the above string?

Ron

9. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Shah,

Here's the info on the trunk handle rubber. Yeah, it seems to affect certain Prii. Ours is still ok for some reason.

How to Replace the Hatch Opening Switch | PriusChat

If you are good with tools, you can get the part at Champion Toyota and do the job yourself. Talk to Jake at internet sales over there. He is a good guy and can help you get parts at discounted rates.

AutoNation Toyota Gulf Freeway Parts | Toyota Parts - Genuine OEM Toyota Parts and Accessories - Houston, Texas

Ron

10. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    You have two batteries. Both are in the back. The smaller one is the 12V and is in the right area behind the tail light under the covering. That one runs the electronics to allow the car to go into Ready mode. The High Voltage (HV) traction battery is the hybrid battery and is the larger one (205V) and runs the electric mechanisms and the electric motor. It is located just behind the rear seat under the covering under the hatchback.

With only 38k miles I wouldn't think the fan is clogged unless carrying long haired animals in the back seat is typical. There is a vent opening at the end of the rear seat back on the passengers side. Looks like an air vent. That is the air vent for the ventilation of the HV battery. With the car in the Ready mode and the AC turned off, you may be able to go around there and hear if the noise is coming from within that vent.

Seems like I remember another electrical device in the quarter of the car that turns and off and can sometimes be heard. But I 'm not sure.

11. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I kind of feel the same way as you do Steve, with 38K it doesn't make sense unless shah is carrying animals. But anything is possible. That is why I said it was a guess. If I do meet up with him or her (unsure..), I am going to put my ear on the vent duct opening and see if I hear the fan. It can be heard if you do that when the Prius is in ready mode. I would also think that the paper trick would work to check for flow. (Hold a dollar bill in front of the duct, or something similar)

Intermittent noises can be hard for one person to figure out or find. Sometimes it takes two working together to pinpoint the problem child.

Ron

12. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I did just check ours with a tissue. The blower will hold the tissue in place when in ready mode, but will fall once the Prius is powered down. That might be a quick and dirty way to see if the blower is working before one tears into the car for the inspection. I am NOT saying that is a proper diagnostic check. I am only saying that it did demonstrate to me that air was indeed flowing through the vent.

Ron

SteveLee likes this.
  13. shah

shah Love My Prius

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you all for the responses.

Ron, I would love to meet with you. Looks like we are both on North Houston side. And I am a he. I will send you a private message.

Steve, thanks for all the information.

Eclipse, thanks for the instructions. I am sure they will come in handy if I decided to do it myself.

And now that you guys tell me the blower is in the back, I doubt that's what the problem is. Even though I can't pinpoint where it is coming from, it sure appears like it is coming from the front and not the back.

Ron, I already saw that link. That is an expensive solution just for a cosmetic issue. There is another thread where people are complaining and some of them giving solution. One of those guys used a squeegee replacement rubber. I have bought one today from home depot and will try it out on my Prius. Also it appears it is possible to open up the screws easily using a small wrench rather than opening up the back of the trunk just to access it. Here is the link:

2007 prius trunk hatch release rubber piece melted | Page 3 | PriusChat

14. Eclipse1701d

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring

Hate to say it, but we haven't done her car, yet... So, no pictures at this time...

15. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Understood, if you do please pm me as I am very interested in this project. I don't want to pay the stealer over 2 C Notes for something I can do myself.

Thanks for the reply and the info.

Ron

16. shah

shah Love My Prius

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I checked mine, I don't feel any air blowing through the vent, but I do hear the fan blowing when I put my ear on the vent. I did not try a tissue, but I tried other light objects and they wouldn't move. If I put my hand on the vent I surely don't feel any air coming out.

Nevertheless, the sound is coming from the front, so it doesn't look like it is the traction battery blower.

17. Rich12

Rich12 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There are 3 batteries in the Prius: Brake booster; 12v and Hybrid. And two coolant loops. And enough computers to run a space station.

And more relays and wires than a Plymouth Fury has atoms of iron...

18. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi Rich12,

FYI, the "brake booster" which looks like a little black box that resides in the Gen II Prius is really not a battery. It is a series of capacitors. I do agree that it is a power source, but technically speaking it is not a battery.

Refer to section #6 in the following link for more information.

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/Hybrid16.pdf

Ron

19. Eclipse1701d

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring

Will do!

dorunron likes this.