1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Prius' wouldn't start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by YoDaddyAlex, Aug 10, 2007.

1. YoDaddyAlex

YoDaddyAlex Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I got a jump from AAA, but my question is, is there any way to find out why the Prius died? I know it locked fine with the alarm, it beeped only once, the only thing I can think of is somehow the headlights didnt go off. It was sitting in the parking lot for maybe 2 hrs while I was gone, came back, and it wouldn't start up to ready, it really was a dead battery. I remember the dealership talking about downloading data, will this be in the data the dealership can download? I am worried the car will die again so I will take it in. After the jump it worked fine, and started again now, but I will see in the morning...

Thanks,
    Alex

2. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If you leave the headlights on all the time, and rely on the car to turn them off when you power down and open the driver door, you run the risk of the headlights staying on if you don't open the driver door after powering down.

It happened to me on a couple of occasions. Once when I was a passenger - I asked my wife to leave the power on so I could listen to a news story . . . so she got out. After the news story was over, I powered down the car, got out and locked the car via the smart key. Two hours later I noticed the lights were still on.

The second time, having just arrived at our trailhead, I powered down the car and we all got out. Just prior to leaving for the hike I noticed a back window was still open by a couple of inches. Being on the passenger side, I got in, turned on the power, rolled the window up, powered down, then locked the car. Upon returning two hours later, yep, I noticed the lights were on.

I believe those are the most logical reasons peoples' 12 volt battery dies on them in short periods of time.

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    If you're really worried about it buy yourself one of the portable boosters. They only cost $20-$40. Of course, if you keep in in the hatch storage area it will be "fun" getting it out if the battery is dead. The hatch will not open if the battery is dead. ;) Perhaps you could find one that would fit under the drivers seat as it appears you don't have nav. If you apply velcro, the hook side, to objects, the velcro sticks to the carpet, so they don't slide around.

If your AAA is anything like ours, you only get a limited number of free boosts per "problem". So the portable booster could pay for itself quickly.

Also, be aware, the battery will take three to five hours of vehicle operation to charge fully, if it was fully discharged. It will also have suffered some damage (loss of capacity) due to the full discharge.

4. scm2000

scm2000 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Aug 10 2007, 12:19 PM) [snapback]493562[/snapback]</div>
    I have not tried it, but what about folding down the rear seats and lifting up the tray cover, if that is where you keep the booster?

5. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Aug 10 2007, 11:19 AM) [snapback]493562[/snapback]</div>
    And by "vehicle operation" you mean the vehicle needs to be left in "ready" mode so the high voltage battery remains connected. You don't actually have to drive it, and the ICE doesn't necessarily need to be running since the 12V battery charges off the high voltage battery.

6. David Beale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Sure, you can get back there by reaching over the rear seats and opening the floor, though I'm not sure it will fit past the hatch door. Probably will, if you fold it. You'd need to be a contortionist though. ;) Not for old guys like me.

7. Bear68

Bear68 Member

Boy, I hope my boss don't read this...... Prius 12v batteries are little bitty gel type critters.... they have a tendancy to lose their charge VERY easily. The cool part is that they also recharge very well and recover nicely without developing a "memory" or shortening their lifespan significantly. I usually recommend a trickle charger for most Prius owners. If you can find one of those "solar" chargers so much the better.

Remember, the 12v only has to "boot up" the HV system. Once you start driving , the 12v battery will recover nicely. ;)

8. YoDaddyAlex

YoDaddyAlex Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    so should I go to the dealership to have them test the power of the 12v? Right now everything is running great. I am trying to get myself to get in the habit of switching off the headlights instead of keeping it on the on position

9. Bear68

Bear68 Member

Simplest answer is add a trickle charger. They are available from any parts store, or if you look around a bit, you can find a solar charger. The wires attach directly to the 12v gel type battery located in the right rear corner of your Prius. The little solar cell can be placed anywhere that it will get adequate sunlight (such as double stick tape to the inside of the rear window) and it will keep the 12v fully charged. Standard trickle chargers install the same way but must be plugged in to a household 110vac outlet to keep the battery charged. They work best if you have a garage to park in since the wire has to sneak out a cracked open window or through the rear hatch.

Trickle or solar chargers are also an excellant idea for any car that doesn't get a lot of driving time, such as those owned by older drivers.

Installation is simple. (This is for MOST applications: READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!!) Open the rear hatch and remove the spare tire cover. Lift out the black plastic tray and remove the small trim cover on the passenger side rear corner to expose the 12v battery. The red wire goes to the positive terminal and the black wire to the negative. The terminal nuts are 10mm, the only tool needed for installation on any Toyota.

If you use a trickle charger that must be plugged in, remember to be careful not to pinch the wire in the latch, route it closer to the side of the opening and check it periodically for damage.

Solar chargers can be installed in such a way that you won't even have to remember to plug it in! :p

Anyone with a little bit confidence can add a trickle/solar charger in less than 15 minutes. No need for a repair bill.

10. David Beale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Further, as Jay in Winterpeg has confirmed, the battery is not a gel cell. It's a standard liquid electrolyte "sealed" lead acid battery with a vent tube. Exactly what is used in motorcycles. He had his out and moved it, and it "sloshed". ;)

I just purchased a "battery tender". It's a well controlled maintenance charger. I got the slightly larger one, capable of 1.25A output on charge. It comes with leads. One you attach to the car - best place is on the front fusebox. That way it's easy to get at if you kill the battery. The lead has ring terminals so it can be bolted right to the "boost point" and the firewall bolt that is usually used for boosting. The charger itself plugs into that lead. I just put a small shelf on the garage wall beside the car and it sits there. Just in case. If I travel, I can take the charger with me. It's pretty small.

11. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Aug 10 2007, 12:32 PM) [snapback]493576[/snapback]</div>
    The panel is removable.

12. David Beale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Aug 11 2007, 04:36 PM) [snapback]494089[/snapback]</div>
    I haven't tried with the hatch closed. To remove the panel, you have to pull it towards the back of the car and with the hatch closed there is no room for that. As I said, perhaps folding it up will give enough room. Still contortionist territory.