1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Report on Continental ProContact with EcoPlus tires for My 2010 Prius II

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by kgall, Oct 12, 2012.

1. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I got these tires to replace my OEM Goodyear Assurance FuelMax tires, which lasted a bit over 46,000 miles.
    F8L asked for a report after a few thousand miles, so here it is, after about 3000.

I've had to do two emergency braking maneuvers, once about 25mph-stop with a swerve, because, when over-tired (ha!) I started to run a red light. The other was from about 65-25 mph, with a swerve, because a jerk cut me off on the Interstate. In both cases, the tires slowed and/or stopped really well. I did a practice straight stop on the badly paved road near my house, about 30-stop, and that worked well too.

In general, I'm happy with the handling, etc. I'm not a driver who is really aggressive with tires, etc., unless I have to be, so others can probably say more.

Fuel economy:
    The results here are ambiguous, for reasons that I will explain. F8L expected a drop in milage and a slow recovery as the tires broke in.
    For the first 2900 miles or so with the new EcoPlus tires, I've gotten about 46.6/46.7 mpg.
    With the OEM FuelMax tires, I got about 47.0/47.1 mpg over just under 3 years.

I got the EcoPlus tires just at the end of the two months of 100 or so degrees in Ark., so much of this driving time has been during what should be good mileage weather--less A/C, no need for heat.
    I haven't seen the drop and rise F8L expected, probably because that has been overwhelmed by the effects of changing temperature (mostly positive), wind (mostly negative), speed (probably net negative--a long, fast drive to Iowa into the wind, but a slightly slower drive back), and other variables.

Oh yeah, I had the new tires filled to 42/40 psi in the hot weather, and just had to add a lot of air to get back there now that it's cooler. So I imagine a lot of the time, I've really been driving on lower pressure.

So, other than to say my mileage IS varying, and this particular 3000 miles on EcoPlus has given me about .4 mpg less than my 46K miles on FuelMax, I'm not ready to say how fuel efficient the EcoPlus tires are.

F8L likes this.