1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My two Lithium-ion powered vehicles

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by RoadNoise, Jun 26, 2016.

1. RoadNoise

RoadNoise Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    But which one is more fun to drive?

Prius_P3.jpg
    A shot of my Eco from above. Reflection of the drone appears in a window.
    Prius.jpg
    Electricity definitely filled the air!
    Lightning.jpg

2. PriUncut

PriUncut Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Ohhhhh... the DJI Phantom 3 has been on my radar! I've been trying to justify buying one!

Hey, here's an idea... do you think you could get the "follow me mode" to work while you drive the car?

I wonder if that work work? Probably too risky. You wouldn't want to be near any bridges or overpasses!

Very cool shots!!!

3. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Beautiful pictures!

4. RoadNoise

RoadNoise Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    I love my drone and think every Prius should come standard with one ;). The price-point for the Phantom 3 is very attractive now that the 4 has arrived. Go for the Advanced or Pro model for the best FPV experience.

Never tried the "follow me" mode but never had a reason to with my previous car. I plan to take some Prius video from the drone soon but probably not "follow me" mode because a tree's favorite diet is drone. So tasty to them. A nice orbit shot would be cool, though. Still looking for the prime location. Thanks for posting!

PriUncut likes this.
  5. PriUncut

PriUncut Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Yeah, thanks allot (he say's sarcastically) - like I needed another push o_O in that direction!

Yeah, I was leaning towards the Pro 3... I don't need 4K... or do I :cool: (hehe)

UPDATE: Now I'm studying the Pro 3 specs more closely... because it looks like it does do 4K! I've got much more comparison research to do... and learn everything I can before I pull the trigger. Funny, this reminds me of process I went just went through with the Prius! ;) Fun stuff!!

#5 PriUncut, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  6. RoadNoise

RoadNoise Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    You should go for it! The Phantom 3 standard will also do 4K (iirc) but FPV is limited. The advanced will do 2.7K and the Pro 4K, which both have Lightbridge FPV (which you want). You are right, it is similar to researching a Prius with so many models to choose from. The Phantom 4 offers obstacle avoidance technology which could come in handy but not worth the price difference to me. Either way, I would first practice around the house with a ~$35 Hubsan X4 mini-quadcopter before buying a Phantom. That's lots of fun too but tricky with no GPS stabilization (but it's virtually indestructible).

Here are some videos I've posted to my YouTube channel, many of which contain aerial shots.

PriUncut likes this.
  7. PriUncut

PriUncut Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I was confused about the "Pro" vs "Advance" - but have now figured that out. The "Pro 4K is the way to go. Thanks for pointing me in the direction of Lightbridge. That was the next thing I was trying to figure out. B&H has an option to order it ether way. I can see the advantage over WIFI.

Will check out your YouTube channel... THANKS!

8. RoadNoise

RoadNoise Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    I would not pay over about a $100 more for the Pro vs Advanced. 2.7K is still overkill for most applications. Another Advanced disadvantage is that FPV (First Person View for the uninitiated) is lower resolution (could be an issue if you plan to get headgear).

Now, to stay on topic...

It is recommended by many Lithium battery manufacturers that a 50% charge is best for long term storage. Would this also apply to my Prius? Couldn't hurt, I suppose.

9. RoadNoise

RoadNoise Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    Something I just put together. If you look to the right of where the lightning bolt hits the ground, you can see NASA Test Stand 4693 under construction, standing 15 stories tall. What NASA will hang from it is a large section of the cylindrical core of the Space Launch System, the rocket that will carry astronauts back to the moon and beyond in the next decade. It is built on the foundation of the test stand where Wernher von Braun tested his F-1 Saturn V engines. The whole city shook during that time and will again soon. This is The Rocket City, after all.