1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My wife is crazy. Help me convince her.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Rxmxsh, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Rxmxsh

Rxmxsh Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here was my commute this am. Literally hit the 10 minute mark when I put it into park and took the pic:

[​IMG]

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was going to say that, especially given the good weather most of the time. The fuel you save in one trip on a bicycle over 2.8 miles return would be more than you will save with an EBH over 6 months and you get a free workout!!

3. Rxmxsh

Rxmxsh Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    True - I get that, but I'm in the gym every other day, and have worked myself down from 240 to 150, over the course of about 2 years. So fitness - I got that, lol. It's the showing up to work in a professional environment on a bicycle, or being all sweaty. That's impractical, to me. I bought a car to get me where I need to go, and I treat it as such a luxury. :D

Now, my office may be relocating to withing about 1/4 to 1/2 mile from my place. THEN I'll probably walk. :p

Anywho - back on topic. My last post w/the pic - that was not using the heat at all. If the heat was on, the first bar would have been cut in half.

4. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you have a shower at work? Can you store work clothes in a locker and shower and dress at work?
    Sorry, where ever I have worked there have been showers and a locker room somewhere in the building, maybe this isn't the norm. Unfortunately I live too far from work to ride a bike or I would. Trick is to take the car once a week with clothes for the week, then the rest of the week ride the bike. At the end of each day take your clothes you wore that day home for laundering in a backpack or pannier bag. If you have some extra clothes at work you can try to time the car trips for rainy or super hot days.

Secondary advantages;
    you don't pay to heat the water for the shower and you look fresher at work because you haven't driven to work in that shirt.
    You leave for work a little earlier when traffic is a little lighter but you don't get up any earlier because you just shift the time it takes to shower from before your commute to after.
    You get to wear Lycra if you want.

5. Rxmxsh

Rxmxsh Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well - no showers, again accounting firm. And I'm just not willing to ride my bike. I might when we move, but that's depending on how I feel at that time. I think the new office may have showers, and if that's the case, I've already committed to your plan, but I'll be running/jogging to work. :D But in the mean time, driving is how I plan to get work.

6. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    So, with the alternatives now on hold, the question, as initially posed is would you benefit from the EBH?? I think Godiva gave as accurate a response, being that she's located in your neck of the woods, and that, coupled with the responses of the others, including the engineering analysis is a resounding yes!! So go for it! and try the grill block as well. That's something you could do tomorrow! It will also make a difference. (block upper and lower) In your area, at least until the end of February I would guess....

Good Luck!! :cool:

7. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I need to do the same.
    How far do you go in the first 5 minutes?
    If it is 1 mile of your 1.9 miles and you got the consumption up from 25 to 50mpg then each day you will reduce your fuel consumption by 1/25th of a gallon so each month you will reduce your spending on fuel by about $3.00. An EBH costs about $60.00 so you are looking at a cost of 20 months fuel saving to pay for the EBH then you need to pay for the electricity to run the EBH. You have a choice of running the EBH all night or get a timer and run it for 3 hours each morning. I would recommend a timer, a quick search and I find electronic timers for about $30.00 or another 10 months worth of fuel savings

So far we are looking at spending 30 months worth of fuel savings up front, so we are looking at paying that off over say 3 years at an interest rate of 6% give interest of about $8-$10 so now we are looking at a cost of $100.00 or 33.3 months worth of petrol savings and we haven't put any electric into the EBH yet.

The average price of electricity in California was in 2005 about 12c/kWh
    EBH uses about 500w per hour or 1.5kWh per 3 hour morning cycle so 18 cents worth of electricity per day, now you are a diligent person so you don't plug in your EBH until the night before you use your car, so you have your EBH plugged in for 25 days a month. This means over the 3 years you will use about $162 worth of electricity so over the first 3 years you have gone backward by about $160.00

I'll leave it to someone else to work out the environmental impact reduction.
    Please excuse my dodgy maths and assumptions regarding vehicle use if they don't fit your actual use.

If your car used 25mpg over your 4 mile 2 way commute you fuel cost for the year is $144 for 48 gallons of petrol so any savings are not going to rock the globe.

8. Rxmxsh

Rxmxsh Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you, sir. That's pretty much how I felt about it, so it's just a matter of buying it, and installing it. Has anyone installed from the top? If so, how did you do it?

Pats - I appreciate your input of alternatives, but again, I don't plan on taking that route for now.

9. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't post alternatives in my last post, just a bit of simple maths.
    Over a 1.9 mile each way commute I would almost think year round grill blocking would be effective and safe.

10. arntz

arntz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Yeah, my first post on Priuschat.
    Aussie Prius's are a little different to yours, but here's something you could try before spending any money.
    Driving home from work in the early hours, the temp here is sometimes around 6 degrees C. What I have found is that during the warmup cycle the engine tends to run without producing any energy, but if you drive very steadily the engine will only rev slightly above idle while assisting the batteries. also turn off the climate control, as it has a tendency to keep the engine running even longer. Once you have travelled around 300 yds you'll notice the engine start to rev at which time normal driving can resume. Don't put the climate control back on until you're cruising.
    Works for me, but your short driving distance may not allow the hybrid batteries to fully recharge.
    Good Luck

11. Rxmxsh

Rxmxsh Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey guys - thanks for the the pointers. My EBH is on order, and should be here next week.

The one lingering question - has anyone installed from the top? Is it possible? I've searched, but haven't come up with anything...

12. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes, it is possible with removal of the windshield wipers and the wiper cowling. See this for Hobbit's typically excellent documentation of the process.

13. Rxmxsh

Rxmxsh Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, That's what I was looking for. Although now, I think it may be easier to go from the bottom, lol. :rolleyes:

Thanks!

14. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The reason that it is easier to install from the bottom, is that the EBH should be on the lowest point of the engine, to warm the oil in the oil pan.
    In Minnesota, we called them "frost plug heaters", and when I first moved here, a lot of people questioned me about the little power cord hanging out of my car's grill. Most people around here thought I had an electric car! :D

15. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure why you asked. I think your wife is totally sane.

16. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    WHy calculate for the first 3 miles on a 1.9 mile commute?