1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mystery rattle and Mystery part... are they related?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by HDuncan, Apr 24, 2015.

1. HDuncan

HDuncan Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ok, so this is a new-to-me 2006 and I noticed an audible rattle upon moderate acceleration, most noticeable around 40mph.

It seems like the engine is vibrating at a particular frequency, which is subsequently vibrating the object... That's my best guess.

The previous owner's son showed me a part that he could not figure out how to reinstall after he finished replacing the rack and pinion in the steering shaft.. its a rubber thing. It seems to be missing from the area where the rattling is coming from... Could they be related?
    I've included an audio file of the noise and a photo of the part..
    IMG_5668.jpg

Rattle Noise.m4a

Context: I've been noticing lots of broken/missing plastic clips, zip-ties, and random bolts used to fasten things down, so the rattle may very well be a loose bolt that was not reinstalled. I'm hoping thats all it is.

#1 HDuncan, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  2. HDuncan

HDuncan Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    For those who can't listen to the audio file.
    It sounds like a very thin aluminum can filled with about 4 erratic carbon fiber butterflies.
    It sounds like a plastic spork dancing in a garbage disposal.
    It sounds like 10,000 staples are being sprayed at you with a modified leaf-blower, and all you have to defend yourself is a shield of clear plastic.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    oh boy. i remember when the three stooges fixed a car back in the sixties, and there was a whole boatload of parts leftover. all the best.(y)

HDuncan likes this.
  4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Definitely. That rubber sleeve provides a weather seal for the rack/pinion steering gear and the steering intermediate shaft. The shaft goes through a hole in the floorboard to reach the steering gear. If that sleeve was not installed, what else is missing?

The steering gear installation needs to be checked and the rubber sleeve replaced so that you don't have a problem with water and debris getting into the floorboard.

I hope the cigarette lighter in your photo was not another item that you found floating around the car...

HDuncan likes this.
  5. HDuncan

HDuncan Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The cigarette lighter pictured was not found in the car.. The one I found in the car was empty. I found about 100 business cards, various petrified food items, hairclips, old makeup, melted candy, and several milkshake/frappuccino stains :)

#5 HDuncan, Apr 25, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
    bisco likes this.
  6. HDuncan

HDuncan Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    So, would you suggest taking it to a dealership and explaining the situation? I wonder how much they'd charge to check it and reinstall the part.. The part is kind of rusty -- maybe I should clean it before reinstall?

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    HDuncan likes this.
  8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A reasonable guess. The steering gear is close to the drivetrain.
    Sounds nasty...

Yes, that is a good idea. Maybe $300?

True - but the OP may not have logged enough time and miles to find out what else is wrong...