1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mythbusters on hypermiling

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by markabele, Jun 20, 2013.

1. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I know this isn't truly news but didn't know where else to put this.

Did anyone see the recent episode with segments on hypermiling?

Thoughts?

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  3. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Your comments with respect to regenerative braking are correct
    but your well taken points might be lost on non-hypermilers
    because to outsiders without the experience
    they may find it hard to believe
    due to a myth that the regenerative braking recaptured energy is free energy :rolleyes:
    and/or
    due to a common bad assumption that regenerative braking is 100% efficient energy transfer :rolleyes:
    when the regenerative braking energy is not free and
    the energy transfer is only about 10% to 50% efficient at recapturing the mechanical energy during braking. :(
    Something is better than nothing but
    it is always better not to lose any energy at all from the get go.

I don't think experienced hypermilers are under any illusions as what they can do in the real world driving conditions. Some, like ufourya, may do marathon runs just to prove to themselves or others what the upper limits of fuel efficiency are possible but - hypermilers know such results are more often than not impractical in the real world . The problem comes when non-hypermilers and the less inform look at these results and try to extrapolated it into the real world without studying hypermiling further. Hypermiling sounds easy to do but it isn't because it seemingly mitigates - works against - the fundamental purpose of a motor vehicle - to saving time.

xs650 and Trebuchet like this.
  4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I bought the podcast for $2 and plan to listen to it on the way home. But kudos for this:
    This is the most responsible and informed description of the practice I've seen since 2005 when I was at GreenHybrid and first read about "hypermiling." Hyper enthusiasm has sadly led to some pretty unfortunate press and incidents about such practices. In contrast, a more subdued concentration on 'efficient driving' , practical techniques that can be applied in the real-world would work and could be used by a larger population of drivers. Efficient driving does not have to 'scare the beJezus' out of the readers and that is all it takes. For example, in the big picture of resource conservation, it is better to help 1000 drivers achieve a 5% savings in easily adopted changes than just a couple, the Taylors, who achieve a 200% savings in stunt drives that can not be easily replicated in ordinary traffic.

Thanks Walter,
    Bob Wilson

Silver bullit, ftl and xs650 like this.
  5. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Totally agreed.

I aim to see if a lot of people can do a few simple things...maybe some will do more later, but at least they are fuel-conscious. It's the more spectacular stuff that makes the press, some of which is hard or questionable to do.

The extent of my hypermiling depends on the traffic. Obviously, rush hour limits my options, so I tend to avoid driving then.

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well I had a chance to watch the podcast this weekend and my overall impressions:
    1. They don't 'like' hypermiling - more of an attitude, they made sure the negative aspects were shown including driving around with the windows rolled up in the California sun with the air conditioning off.
    2. Weaker than expected technical content - it is hard to say where to start but using $10,000 of test equipment for mileage recording when OBD based units are so much more affordable and usable . . . worse they did nothing with the high resolution data but give a simple, single number.
    3. Kari Byron - either the worlds best actress for her ending enthusiasm or they promised her that if she looked enthusiastic they would NEVER, EVER, DO THIS AGAIN!
    Because I have the podcast, I can give a more detailed synopsis but I can well understand if hypermiling advocates give that review a poor score.

Bob Wilson