1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

National Geographic "The War On Science"

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Mar 1, 2015.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Picked this up off the news stand (some of us still read paper:)
    A lot of human behavior can be traced to 'tribal thinking.' So even if the facts and data suggest "A," a tribe is often motivated by world view "B" and nothing will change their mind. So I'm less inclined to spend much time trying to persuade members of one tribe to change to another.

Joel goes on to point out:
    So I enjoy reading the latest research and data NOT because it will change the minds of the other tribe. Rather a characteristic of the 'rationalist' tribe is an unbridled curiosity.

Bob Wilson

Robert Holt likes this.
  2. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Right, and why we should not waste time arguing with denialists.

Unfortunately this also means that Democracy is stymied. All we can do is act according to our personal ethics, and enjoy our advantage in the marketplace.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Mostly we agree:
    I think it is more accurate to say we have no expectations of changing their point of view. But the rationalist tribe is often curious about the facts and data even if the source is suspect. Often examination reaffirms basic science and engineering . . . an opposite effect of what the skeptic expected.

I never tire of reminding folks that we are barely 500 years away from the dark ages. Even Democracy was not certain 150 years ago when:
    Our species has no intrinsic commitment to empiricism and the scientific method, it is a method, not a set of hard 'facts' that can be memorized like a religious text. What has been found by science can be memorized but without the method, just as easily lost. It is worse when tribes insist in living in a pre-enlightenment society with post-enlightenment weapons. It is like arming a kindergarden.

Bob Wilson

#3 bwilson4web, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
    Jeff N likes this.
  4. wxman

wxman Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What is the definition of a "denier"? At what point does someone become a "denier"?

If one accepts that the global climate is generally warming, and some if not most of the warming is anthropogenic, is that individual still a "denier"?

If one has no faith in climate model projections, is that individual considered a "denier"? How can you be a "denier" about events and scenarios that haven't happened yet?

5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    ^^ Are you questioning your faith ? That is a good first step into the emergence of rational thought.

To answer your question: deniers have selective hearing and attention to data and expertise.
    If you choose to accept the opinions of a couple of weathermen over the combined scientific expertise of every major scientific body in the western world, you are a denialist.

#5 SageBrush, Mar 2, 2015
  6. wxman

wxman Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not really. Just wondering if you consider me a "denier" if I don't trust climate model projections.

I've used weather prediction (NWP) models on essentially a daily basis as an operational meteorologist in the National Weather Service. Does that give me any "expertise" in evaluating climate models given they're derived from NWP models?

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    'Trust' is like 'Faith.'
    Neither has a reasonable place in science.

Uncertainty is part of science, and can usually be quantified.
    To answer your question, a user of a model is a technician. I consider you a highly trained technician. That is not a bad thing at all, but you are not what I deem an expert in the science of Climate change.

8. wxman

wxman Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, in my opinion, climate model uncertainty is so great, that the skill with all climate parameters is essentially zero decades out.

9. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    ^^ Publish in a top tier, peer reviewed journal your analysis of CO2 sensitivity.

10. wxman

wxman Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So do you think that practicing engineers who don't publish in top tier, peer reviewed journals are just techncians and don't have any real expertise in engineering?

11. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I discount their opinions regarding the science of Climate Change.
    I respect their opinions in their fields of Engineering, just as I respect your opinions about weather.
    I'm aware of the uncertainty of modeling CO2 and other GHG sensitivity -- I read about it from experts all the time. The science of GHG however is rather clear cut and not in dispute amongst experts.

In the specific case of the science of Climate Change, you are not in the same league. That you have trouble accepting this is a denialist attitude. If you publish a better model that is accepted by the community of experts in Climate science, my hat comes off. If you publish an analysis of current models that changes the currently accepted uncertainty of those models, hat is off.

#11 SageBrush, Mar 2, 2015
  12. wxman

wxman Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So you think that meteorology is as different from climate science as engineering is? You are aware that the fundamentals of meteorology (e.g., atmospheric physics and dynamics) are also fundamental to climate science, right? Both are atmospheric sciences. Climate is just weather averaged over a long period of time. Actually I would argue that meteorology is a fundamental science in climate science.

All of the catastrophic scenarios of AGW are based on climate model projections. Even the IPCC says that no clear trends are apparent from climate warming so far, other than more heat waves and fewer cold waves. No clear trends in droughts, floods, local severe wx, extratropical storms, tropical storms, changes in upper air flow configuration and blocking, or changes in climate variability (AR5).

At least I know now that I've been put in the "denier" category. Won't have to wonder any longer.

13. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Imagine what would world be like if the laws of physics were decided by simple majority vote

14. wxman

wxman Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sagebrush,

IIRC, there are something like 42 discrete climate models currently being used in the climate science community.

There have been what, thousands if not tens of thousands of papers published on AGW, so a very large majority of authors (climate scientists) have not developed their own model either, and only use models that are currently in existence. NWS mets use NWP models that have been developed by model development groups. However, we (NWS mets) get to see how well those models perform on essentially a daily basis. Not only that, but our performance evaluations are based on how well our weather forecasts verify vis a vis the NWP models.

So expertise in climate science (or atmospheric science in general) isn't necessarily tied to the development of a model.

15. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Weather is not the same as climate.

16. wxman

wxman Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Weather and climate are inexorably linked.

17. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    so are the trees and forest; but can you see one behind the trees?

18. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I agree.
    I was answering your question whether your use of a model on a daily basis to predict the weather makes you an expert in the science of Climate change. It does not.

Now, if you had a PhD in atmospheric science and could lay a claim to peer reviewed, tier 1 publications in Climate science, you would be an expert in the field and someone of whom I would value your opinion.

19. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    And ... ?
    Let me give an example: I am a physician, effectively a technician of biology in general and human biology specifically.

If I was so foolish as to voice an opinion on the x-ray diffraction studies of DNA that lead to the understanding of the double helix structure, I would expect rational people to ignore me. If psychologists voiced an opinion based on their work in cognition, I would ignore them. And if Spidey came hear to give the 'truth' based on his reading of the bible ... well, you already know how I answer that.

#19 SageBrush, Mar 2, 2015
    ftl likes this.
  20. wxman

wxman Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Says who? Why doesn't extensive experience in the performance of NWP models, which are fundamentally the same as climate models (Climate Models | WMO), qualify me as someone who can offer an informed opinion without being labeled "denier"?