1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nav DVD 11.1 Update Info

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by jdcollins5, Oct 7, 2011.

1. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    By any chance, those of you who updated to 11.1, did you notice a change in the visual graphics? Just wondering if there are more color choices or if the icons were updated.

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No change in visual graphics. Only map upgrades and a fix for the Bluetooth delay when calling from Hands Free.

1 person likes this.
  3. bascherz

bascherz New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have a 2009 Prius with original maps (purchased in Dec 2009). Does anyone know if this 11.1 DVD will make any changes to the system other than maps? From what I have read, you have a newer Prius that may already have the software this DVD contains.

Thanks,
    Bruce

4. hoferchr

hoferchr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I also received the e-mail and was concerned about which version I had because I just got my new 2011 Prius this past Monday. I checked, and it's got 11.1 already. :rockon:

5. franklin28

franklin28 New Member

I have a 2007 Prius and do not know what NAV version i have,but it has to be old. Has anyone been able to beat the$169 price and where do I go to find out how to do the install myself or will the dealer do it for free?

Frank in Columbus Ohio

6. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I doubt you will find a "legitimate"copy for less than $169. You can do the install yourself. It consists of ejecting your existing DVD and inserting the new DVD. On bootup it loads the system with the updates and you are ready to go.

7. GreenMaterialism

GreenMaterialism Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Actually - I'd be willing to sell mine. The wife was talked into it at the dealership, and I see no useful difference for our driving from the previous edition that we already had. I'll send you a PM.

8. DELLsFan

DELLsFan New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Oh ... is THAT how it works? There's a DVD in my NAV system right now just spinning away all the time?? All the money for the Nav system and no one thought about flash memory? Really? :eek:

You know, I like the large screen, audio system upgrade and all, but I am really REALLY turned off at the idea of paying $169 for a freaking map upgrade. These should be more reasonably priced or <gasp> free ...

With hand-held units plentiful and finally reasonably-priced, it seems to me the auto industry has become a willing participant in being the last safe haven for proprietary price gauging in this genre! :(

1 person likes this.
  9. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yep, there is a DVD spinning with the map info, etc.

There are many threads on here about the high cost of the update DVD's. Heck, Toyota just lowered the pricing from $199 to $169 !

10. PRPrius

PRPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  11. SUPERCOOLMAN

SUPERCOOLMAN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    garmin GPS knows the speed limit on most of the roads, so you don't even need to worry about the speed setting. that's something I've been hoping prius navi would have to achieve more accurate estimate of arrival time and delay with real time traffic.

12. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just to be sure, there are settings for the Navi where you indicate your normal speeds on Residential, Main and Freeways. This is what the Navi uses to determine estimate of arrival time. Do you have these set to your normal driving speeds?

For real time traffic, you will need XM Traffic.

13. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  14. aneumayr

aneumayr New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just got a Gen 3 that came with the 11.1 Nav DVD.

1 person likes this.
  15. PRPrius

PRPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    When you are placing the order with Carson Toyota, the website will ask you for the model year of your car. They will send you the disc that is designed for your particular generation. I think they have not updated their wording on the description for this item in a long time. However, if you want to make sure you get what you need. I would suggest giving them a call, just to be on the safe side.

1 person likes this.
  16. SUPERCOOLMAN

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    within 1 mile radius. we've got roads with speed limits of 25,30,35,40,45,50,65 mph. AFAIK, Prius's navi only allows 3 settings. How would you configure for all of them? garmin's GPS also display speed limit of current road and warn you if you are over the speed limit. I think if GPS can map mileage of roads, it should also map speed limit of roads to better calculate arrival time. otherwise, how can it pick better route out of several routes to same destination? i've tried so many times and have proved that garmin's GPS take me through faster route. the difference could be at least half hour due to Prius's navi always take me through unnecessary traffic jam, stop signs and slow roads.

17. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    All you can do is set the three speeds the best you can.

There are also settings of routes not to take, like freeways, etc. If you any of these set then it will take back roads.

Another is the Navi gives you three selections when you enter a destination. They will be Shortest, Quickest and Alternate. When setting a destination there will be something like Route Details at the bottom of the screen. Select this and it should show the three alternate routes.

It sounds like you need to take the time to read the Navi Manual and understand the settings, selections, etc.

The Navi is never going to be as good as the latest and greatest Garmin, but it will get you from point A to B very well.

18. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The short answer is that the 2010 has a Gen 6 Navi system and the 2009 and earlier have a Gen 5 Navi system. There is a 11.1 rev for both systems.

The dealer should know this from your MY.

When I went to pick my DVD up from the dealer, he first handed me one that said Gen 5 Navi and it stated for a certain series of MY. When I questioned him, he looked and said that he had given me the wrong DVD, so brought another DVD that said Gen 6 for 2010 MY.

1 person likes this.
  19. SUPERCOOLMAN

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five

the garmin I'm referring to is 3 years old, which is older than my one year old prius. if you have to perform a detailed configuration on a GPS just to get it route properly like a standard GPS, then it's broken.

I wish there were more than one choices of GPS provider in the navi package

1 person likes this.
  20. DELLsFan

DELLsFan New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    +1 ... That would be nice, actually.

But listen, I am not dissatisfied with the basic functionality of the Navigation system. In fact, so far - it's adequate to the tasks and destinations I've selected. However, in hindsight, I could have saved the money I splurged on the Navigation package and spent it and the amount I'll be fleeced paying for updated maps - customizing my own audio, iPhone/iPad, hands-free cellular and GPS solutions.

I had a choice, for sure ... and had I done my homework and realized the extent to which Toyota (and other car manufacturers for that matter) price gouge and restrict new owners with their proprietary Navigation packages, I might have made a different decision.

In particular, the inherent safety restrictions (disabling of features while the car is moving) on the audio/nav systems configuration menu and destination menu is quite annoying. Toyota figured out how to make, and improve upon hydrid synergy drives 3 TIMES unlike no other manufacturer! And yet, they couldn't integrate a safety switch on their Navigation/Audio system that would bypass default lockouts of the system while the car is moving for the non-driving passenger? Really? And they want $169 for updated maps? :eek:

1 person likes this.