1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nav features turned off after 3 years

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by dragonfinder1, Oct 8, 2014.

1. dragonfinder1

dragonfinder1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    My 2011 Prius trim level 5 just turned three years old. I haven't had it that long, but that is when it was built.

Now some of the features on the nav system don't work anymore. We have a Garmin we use in the car as well and until this month both GPS's showed the distance to the same place exactly the same distance. Now the difference is as much as 12 miles in a trip of 200 miles. The distance to the next turn no longer works, freeway mode no longer works, split screen no longer works. There are

Toyota probably does this so we are forced to up grade the software in the
    GPS, but these are safety features, that I paid for and were on the car when I bought it, that should work no matter what, they should not be turned off. We are not near our home dealer so we can't talk to them about it. If they did in fact do this, no matter how much I like my Prius, this will be my last Toyota.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you tried to recalibrate it? It's buried in the SETUP --> NAV --> Detailed Nav Settings menu (IIRC)

3. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yeah, that's not something that Toyota does. My car's older than yours, and the original nav disk works the same as it always did.

Some other possibilities I could see:
    You mention being away from your home dealer - did you leave the 3-to-8-state area covering your home state? I think this mainly affects the results returned when you search for a location, but don't know for sure. (For Oregon, that means that if you leave Idaho, Oregon, and Washington, you need to change the map's search area - press Dest, then Address, then Search Area at the bottom.)

Are you in a location that you have successfully used navigation before? Not all areas are supported by the navigation system. Sometimes, the roads will show up on the map, but it can't give you directions, or the directions are a little weird. I get this when heading into the Sierras, or far Northern California, for example. The Garmin undoubtedly has an advantage here, since its maps are generally cheaper and easier to upgrade.

Maybe something is goofy in the Nav system? Perhaps disconnecting the 12V battery from the car for a half hour or so would reset it (though it would also reset your radio presets and some other things too, I think).

4. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Ditto. My 2010 (Oct '09) had the same disc in it until I traded it in this past July. I had no issues.

And, since when has navigation been considered a safety item? Sheesh...drama drama drama.

5. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yeah, try all those things before you swear-off Toyota forever.

6. Phil Wheeler

Phil Wheeler Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So use the Garmin.

I have a Garmin in my Prius, too. I never use the Prius nav. Garmin cost me under $200 at COSTCO, has lifetime traffic and map updates, and I just like it better. We have the same unit in out CR-V. Mainly I know how the Garmin works, can move the screen to avoid sunlight issues -- and use the car's display for other purposes. All good :)

Phil

bkman and chrisj428 like this.
  7. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I used both a Garmin Nuvi 2555LMT and the Prius nav on our recent 7,400 mile trip. I liked the integrated speaker that I could hear above the radio, but the Garmin let us find POIs, etc., quicker while the car was moving and showed speed limits. Once I found something on the Nuvi, I transferred it to the Prius if I could. If I couldn't, I turned on the Nuvi speaker and let it get me there. IIRC, this only happened twice. I added a cardboard visor about the screen when needed, so never had any difficult seeing the screen. The Nuvi sits near the small side window out of the way, but still within easy reach. The Nuvi lets me take in in when we stop for lunch, overnight in the motel, etc. I usually save destinations while my wife is getting ready in the morning, so I don't have to use the Nuvi much while moving. I do wish Toyota hadn't crippled the nav while moving though.

I assume you're out of warranty or you'd have taken it to the dealer to have it looked at. I suspect the whole unit would have to be replaced and that would cost a lot. Your situation is why I generally don't like built-in nav units. Still, while I have it, I'll use mine as much as I can. I should note too that the Nuvi (up-to-date with latest maps) made the only mistake on the trip, wanting to take me off the freeway and right back on at the same exit for no apparent reason.

8. dragonfinder1

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I took the car in today, they pulled the nav unit and found a connection that had come loose from the GPS atnenna.

9. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That's great. Sometimes it's the simplest things. Did they charge you?

10. dragonfinder1

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    No charge, but I got the feeling they knew what the problem might be, only took about a half hour.

jgilliam1955 likes this.
  11. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    All's good then. Thanks for the reply.

12. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Wow.... wouldn't think that would work loose on it's own, but happy that your concern that Toyota would somehow try to give you the shaft to update after 3 years is off the table.
    I have found Toyota to be nothing less than reputable with great products and service with both my current Prius and previous 4Runner.

Roland

13. Phil Wheeler

Phil Wheeler Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Good for you :)

14. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Hogwash

I don't know where you get this paranoid conspiracy nonsense from, but put it back.
    The only feature I can think of that has a limited time use was the XM radio service, and Toyota was VERY clear that it was a limited time promotion.

#14 SageBrush, Oct 11, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2014