1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nav "time to arrival" always wrong

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by striker308, Aug 17, 2013.

1. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you Chazz8, this is very similar to the Gen 3. It reinforces the point that it spells it out in the Nav Manual if one will take the time to read it and experiment with it.

2. mtbiker53

mtbiker53 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've never had to tell my Google maps navigation [or my Garmin]what speed I might be going,it knows by the route I've selected,and is always close on ETA.The Toyota nav is always way off and is not very good,in my opinion.
    Garmin and Google engineers TOLD the computors the right thing,Toyota,not so much.

steve

3. dkelly

dkelly Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Toyota nav will get you from point a to point b, but that's about it. The Tom-Tom app for the iPhone has never let me down. It optimizes routes based on time of day plus adjust for real- time traffic. I'm sure google and garmin have similar features.

mtbiker53 likes this.
  4. striker308

striker308 Three time Prius owner

Evans, NY (USA) / South Williamsport, PA (USA)
    Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In my Gen II i could adjust the "average" speed for city and highway, if there is a way to do that in the Gen III I haven't found it in the manual or here yet. if you know where to locate this option in the Gen III nav please share.

5. striker308

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    NOT the same at all, the non HDD nav does not have the Navigation soft key.

When you enter setup from the non HDD the only options are "display" "General" "Bluetooth" "Phone" "Audio" "vehicle"

When you enter the Nav via the Apps hard key, there is no option to adjust speed, you have only three option for time or arrival. "Off" "Time of arrival" "Time remaining"

6. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What does your Manual say about the Nav settings? There was another thread on here and a member gave the steps to get to the settings which ended up being similar to the 2010. Let me see if I can find that thread.

7. striker308

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The manual has nothing for this based on the non HDD display I have the section for the HDD reads just like you noted above. I think the non HDD owners and just plain out of luck on this since the menue option are different.

8. pfjmarina

pfjmarina Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just finished a week long 2400 mile road trip in my 2013 prius v (package 3) and saw the same inaccurate ETA as the OP. This was our first road trip with the v so I brought along our Garmin Nuvi 1450 as well. On the first day we drove about 500 miles from Monterey, CA to Boulder City, NV (Hoover Dam). Had the same route plugged into both units and as we left the ETA was 1 hour earlier on the garmin than on the prius nav system. There was no traffic delays along the way and we stayed pretty much right on posted speed limits. After accounting for gas/rest stops, the Garmin ETA was dead on accurate. The ETA on the prius nav system gradually changed to the point where it matched the Garmin ETA when we got down to the last 30 minutes or so.

On the way back we saw the same effect. There was a 45 minute discrepancy in ETA between the Garmin and prius nav system from Barstow, CA to Monterey, CA. Once again the prius system over estimated travel time and gradually shifted to match the Garmin towards the end of the trip.

This is my first experience with an in-car nav system and I must say I am un-impressed. I love the car, but my Garmin Nuvi with lifetime map/traffic updates is a much better value as well as being a superior system to the in-car system. Is it just the Toyota system or are they all this bad?

mtbiker53 likes this.