1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Navigation Override for 2008 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Gareth, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Gareth

Gareth New Member

I know that previous years of the Prius (and other Toyotas) can have the navigation overrided so that you can use all the features while the car is moving. Does the same key sequence work for overriding the navigation on a 2008 Prius?

It seems absurd that a passenger isn't able to use all of the navigation features while the car is moving.

Thanks in advance for responding.

2. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The override sequence stopped working after 2005. No luck in 2006 or later.

3. Gareth

Gareth New Member

Thanks for the info. Any idea why the override works on our 2007 Lexus 400h but it stopped working in the Prius a year prior?

4. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    do not know why it works on the Lexus. Could just be a different software version.

I installed the $99 Coastal Tech kit in my 2006. It took five minutes to unplug a cable from on the DVD drive and install their device.

5. Gareth

Gareth New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ Oct 19 2007, 11:36 AM) [snapback]527790[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks again.

I'm completely incompetent when it comes to installing anything. But, I could probably get a friend to do it.

That said, I've doing some more research and I see that perhaps entering addresses via voice command might do the trick. You can do that while driving right? Does it work fairly well? I guess I'll begin finding these things out myself in a few days when I get my car.

6. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gareth @ Oct 19 2007, 02:15 PM) [snapback]527830[/snapback]</div>
    Ahh... that's the million dollar question. :p For some people (such as myself) I find it works adequately well, though your success is strongly influenced by your speaking accents and things like ambient noise (open windows, etc...). I do wish there were a few other commands available (like setting destination by intersection, and a "next" command when doing a "Nearest <POI category>" command, but I digress...

If you do a search, there are numerous threads on the voice commands topic, including command lists, etc...

7. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Voice recognition for locations and street names also depends largely on where you live!

I live in Massachusetts, where there are some pretty wacky names for places, and even more wacky pronunciations. I can never get directions to anywhere in Needham because it thinks I'm saying "Natick" or other names.. I try saying it like it's spelled: need-HAM, no luck. Like it's pronounced: Need-um, also no dice. Variations get me nowhere. I have more than once ended up partially entering the name of the town at stop lights on the way there! :D :D

But if you live somewhere with fewer town names based on either Ye Olde English, or Native American words/names then you might be ok.

Actually, I'm being unfair. Needham is the only town name I've had real trouble with.

8. willowthedog

willowthedog New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I also find using voice recognition for entering a destination address to be hit and miss. The biggest problem I had to overcome is how to say the street numbers: just say them as quickly as you normally would in a conversation with someone. If you slow down at all or try to clearly enunciate each number, the voice recognition will fail.

My other gripe is that it takes way too long to enter an address by voice commands. You have to keep pressing the voice button, waiting for Jill to finish her overly wordy instructions, correcting mistakes, etc. That's why I vote for installing the Nav override. You can buy the Coastal device, or do it yourself by splicing a couple of wires. Not very hard at all.

9. 2005+2006

2005+2006 New Member

Lots of threads on the nav challenges. A few a bluetooth. Anybody seen any solutions for some of the interesting WMA/MP3 functions while moving? You can't list the folders or files on a CD.

Thanks.

10. dimwalle

dimwalle New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Willow The Dog @ Oct 19 2007, 12:19 PM) [snapback]527874[/snapback]</div>
    how do I find out how to splice which couple of wires?

11. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2005+2006 @ Oct 23 2007, 02:05 PM) [snapback]529418[/snapback]</div>
    On the 2005, the BT wire also controls the MSG part of the FM on the radio. I believe it'll take care of the MP3 stuff as well.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dimwalle @ Oct 23 2007, 04:52 PM) [snapback]529475[/snapback]</div>
    You can go to http://www.evnut.com/prius_speed_wire.htm for pictures.

12. skguh

skguh Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Oct 19 2007, 01:43 PM) [snapback]527843[/snapback]</div>
    Hey Ichabod! What about Worcestershire? What about Worcester, MA? When I was younger I couldn't ever find it on the map (remember those?) because I was looking for the pronunciated version!

13. willowthedog

willowthedog New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Oct 23 2007, 05:16 PM) [snapback]529476[/snapback]</div>
    Exactly. This is what I used to install my Nav lockout override. Just look at the very last picture on the page. There's a very easily accessed wiring harness behind the vent just to the right of the LCD. Install a switch inline with 2 of the wires in there, and voila, you have full access to the Nav system, track lists, phone dialing, etc. while driving.

One thing to keep in mind though ... while the Nav switch is in the override position, your car's position on the map will not update (because the Nav system thinks you are stopped). If you wait more than a minute or two before turning the override off, the Nav System will be thoroughly confused as to where to place you on the map. Since you are now several miles further down the road than it thinks you are, it will place you on incorrect side streets every time you make a turn. Eventually, it will fix itself, but it can take a while, and any direction guidance it gives you in the meantime will be worthless.

14. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Willow The Dog @ Oct 24 2007, 06:44 AM) [snapback]529657[/snapback]</div>
    Same with the BT override. If left off, you lose the turning wheels on the Energy screen and the 5-minute information on the Consumption screen. Let me explain that further. If turned off for 5 minutes there'll be no bar showing for that time period. If it's off for, say, 30 seconds and turned back on, you shouldn't see anything different.

15. kimgh

kimgh Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Willow The Dog @ Oct 19 2007, 01:19 PM) [snapback]527874[/snapback]</div>
    There is a way to stop Jill from saying "Please enter a command...". One of the settings, I forget which.
    All you get is a beep. Unfortunately, it doesn't save time because the beep still waits as if Jill were saying her piece, but at least you can reduce the annoyance factor a bit.

I'll check next time I'm in the car for the actual name of the setting and report back, unless someone else chimes in on this.

16. willowthedog

willowthedog New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kimgh @ Oct 24 2007, 10:45 AM) [snapback]529773[/snapback]</div>
    Yes I know the setting you're referring to, but, like you said, it's actually of little use. Plus it only eliminates SOME of her prompts, not all.

1 person likes this.
  17. marcdare

marcdare New Member

ok...looks like this thread has been dead for a while...time to breathe some life into 'er ;)

Folks, at one time I led the painstaking fight to figure out the coded sequence to free us from the hold of the Navigation 'not while driving' boundaries.

it's been awhile. And at the time, I was able to track down a 'higher up' at Toyota, who finally admitted to me that the sequence exists, he would just not part with the info.

I mean, c'mon guys! After all of this time...SOMEONE has had to have figured this out right? Perhaps I'm behind? Perhaps another thread is floating around with the answer? HELP!! :)

I do know of course of the Coastal products...but just want the good old fashioned code sequence like all of our 2005 and older brethren share!

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? ;)