i travel quite a bit these days and on my way home from coachella music festival, my brakes gave out. i mean to say, pushing the pedal all the way down, no resistance, no slowing, a completely limp pedal....until i repeatedly stomped on it and the car locked and skidded to a stop, feet away from the car in front of me. the brakes returned intermittently, so i took the right hand lane at 40mph and tested the brakes regularly until i got to my dealership. scariest thing ive ever experienced. ive had the car since august 09' and currently have 43k miles on it. i know thats a lot, and its unfortunately outside of my warranty now, but i wanted to log it here, as soon as i could. it started one day before the freeway incident, whenever i would depress the pedal, a loud high pitched squeak would come out. i didnt think much of it outside of "better get that looked at" but didnt notice any brake failure. the next morning, i turned on the car and every dashboard light came on and a fast consistant beeping went on for about 5 minutes, during which time the brake pedal had zero resistance. i sat there with a serious WTF look on my face, when out of nowhere, the dash lights went away, as did the beeping, and the car drove as normal with full regular brake pressure (besides the squeak). toyota said they'd call me today and give me an update. no call. i called them myself and they told me toyota corporate was on the phone with their techs about my car. no update as of yet....just them asking for my permission to authorize a $260 (labor only) inspection. ugh. what choice did i have? UPDATE: received a call back from the dealership. they say it's going to be $3k for a master cylinder replacement and that Toyota corporate wouldn't aid in the cost, despite my hybrid warranty still covering the hybrid ECU (the master cylinder unit includes the ECU). I will repost this at nhtsa UPDATE 2: called back the service manager with questions regarding the part. was told that the master cylinder is an electronic piece and either works or its broken, its not repairable, nor is it breakable by a customer. I requested that she write an email to Toyota Corporate asking for assistance one more time (so the info and their response would at least be documented), and she said she would. I also informed her that the info was posted here on PC as well as on NHTSA.