1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need a "Prius batteries don't pollute" flyer to give to "deniers"

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by ProximalSuns, Jul 31, 2012.

1. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Pull into the Safeway gas station, big lines, I pull in, grab my 9 gallons and I'm out. One of the kid attendants comments on my getting in and out so fast with so little gas (rural area with lots of SUV's and lifted trucks).

One of the other kids says "Yeah but those batteries pollute more than the gas".

Thought it would be great to have a one page flyer with basic info debunking the claim and some links. Every time I hear the uninformed make the comment, I can hand them the flyer and scoot.

Anybody have any links to good summaries on the eco impact of the Prius batteries?

Skoorbmax likes this.
  2. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ask him how nickel metal hydride batteries pollute. He doesn't know; he's just repeating some lie he heard from Rush Limbaugh.

3. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't want to get into a combat radio discussion with them. They are just kids working the gas pump. Be fun to give them colorful one page flyer. I could put one of those scan gizmos on the page, the kid could point his smart phone at it and check it out.

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Prox- As you may know, this is an urban myth from an old debunked article the said Hummer was cleaner than a Prius.
    If you google (or search here) Hummer Prius you should get many hits re: debunks. Historically the nickel comes from Canada and, although I am not sure about recent developments, Canada has been lax on SOx regulations and I believe nickel smelting has historically been a significant source of SOx and acid rain. If we knew the weight of a Prius battery, we could calculate how much SOx and CO2 is made, and we could calculate how much CO2 is saved. We could also calculate how much SOx a Prius creates from residual sulfur in gaso to help put the SOx emissions in perspective.

On the assumption no brochure exists, let's make one.

5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why pick a fight with a kid in a gas station? If somebody doesn't believe that Priuses are "green" then a flier isn't going to change their mind. The DNC and the RNC use fliers and "data" to support their pet causes. How is that working?
    Why would knocking down a bunch of trees to make paper for these fliers look when you're advocating for the environment???
    The Prius has been around for well over a decade. There can be no doubt that it's one of the greener forms of motorized personal transportation
    on the planet...both kinds of "green."
    If you're a bunny hugger? It's green.
    If you're miserly? It's green.
    The facts are so obvious that they need no explanation or justification. Providing these may actually weaken your case.
    It's JMHO, but I think that the last thing that the Prius community needs is a bunch of people papering the landscape with more propaganda, be it on paper or in the virtual world.

I always tell deniers...."600 miles. 30 bucks. Next argument.... :)

TigerNY, austingreen and markabele like this.
  6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Remind the kid that the lead in his regular 12V battery is much worse.

7. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Absolutely. You pick a fight, the kid will keep beleiving, and you will have fufilled the bad prius driver sterotype.

You could simply tell him the batteries get recycled, as does much of the nickel that probably went into them. Tell him that stainless steel also uses a lot of nickel. Educate, don't instigate.

Absolutely, don't be wasteful to prove you are not being wasteful.

Almost all of that lead was recycled. 97% of the lead in lead acid batteries is recycled from the fleet. Its worth a great deal of money.

8. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    32 lbs. I'm not sure what that gets you. Over 90% of the nickel mined goes into stainless steel, alloys, and electroplating. About 80% of nickel is recycled. Hopefully every one on this forum will make sure their battery is recycled, and it will offset other future mining. That makes it a very small effect on the environment. IIRC toyota now buys its nickel from china not canada.:), I'm not sure if the chinese mines are better or worse than the canadian ones.

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Recycling rates of traction batteries should reach equally high levels, if not higher.

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Environmental - Prius Wiki is a good starting point.

EVdriver likes this.
  11. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Beats me. Why? My idea is to have some fun with it.
    I'm more optimistic on people wanting to do the right thing and learn.
    You can find 100% recycled paper. Put it on a business card. Four lines of facts and a QR code on the other side they can scan and surf to on their phones.
    You watch Fox News and vote GOP enough to know that's not true. Lots of loud deniers and doubters that fall for their hoohah. A small opportunity to educate the public.

12. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Well that was the point, that these batteries get recycled.

We simply do not have much data on prius battery recycling yet, but can assume that it will be at a high rate. The lead battery rate has decades of statistics:)

13. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Simple question back to the "other kid" would be "Where did you hear that?" Now you've opened up an opportunity for a discussion.

austingreen likes this.
  14. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Smile at the kid and say,"Perhaps but I get 52 MPG, how about you?"

Bob Wilson

15. Dorian7

Dorian7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just found and posted this academic study that is VERY in depth of the total environmental impact of a gas only vehicle vs hybrid vs plug in. It considers all factors from the production, through the useable life of the vehicle all the way to disposing of the vehicle after it's life! Take what data you will.

Study of total carbon footprint from hybrid vehicles vs traditional | PriusChat

wjtracy likes this.
  16. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Probably not the best study to use. A cursory glance shows they only reaserch Lithium batteries.

As soon as the kid catches your first mistake, you have lost credibility. Keep it simple, just tell them the batteries get recycled. Nickel is also used in stainless steel, and there is a lot more nickel in stainless than in car batteries. Its easy to understand.

Codyroo likes this.
  17. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is a battery life cycle analysis summary by Argonne labs.
    Don't know if it helps too much. Since this guy you met was questioning the battery per se, perhaps best thing to say is same as flashlight rechargable batteries NiMH and these are considered eco-friendly compared to older rechargable batteries NiCad and Pb.

http://www.transportation.anl.gov/pdfs/B/644.PDF

18. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not really interested in a discussion, either is the kid running from pump to pump at the mega station BUT hand him a card he sticks in his pocket with cool stuff he can access with his smartphone when he gets downtime...that'd be fun.

"My card".

19. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Actually it's not. Not many clear, easy to understand, graphic presentations showing life cycle carbon costs for vehicles in that link.

You'd think Toyota would have created a couple page brochure, virtual or otherwise, to make the case that Prius has lower life cycle carbon footprint.

20. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius