1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need ACC or IGN Wire near the Fuse Box

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by MTKnife, Sep 16, 2011.

1. MTKnife

MTKnife New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've searched all over and can't find an answer to this one. I'm installing a backup camera, and I want to be able to use it all the time, not just in Reverse--I know some people do that to keep an eye on a trailer, but at the moment, what I want to do is to install the camera under a headrest in the backseat so that we can keep an eye on our baby; once she graduates to a forward-facing seat, I'll move the camera back to the normal position.

My question is where to tap into an ACC or IGN power wire. I don't expect to find one in the rear cabin; I could tap directly into the 12V, but an always-on connection is a bad idea, since there's no control to shut the camera off, hence it would drain the battery while the car is off. I figure I'll have to run a power wire up to the front, alongside the video cable.

It stands to reason that some of the wires coming out the back of the fuse box (the interior box next to the driver's left knee, I mean) are either ACC or IGN power wires, but I can't figure out which ones--I've tried tapping into two of them, with no luck. I realize there's a switched wire behind the stereo head unit, and another going to the front 12V outlet, but I'd rather not run the camera's power wire all the way over there. Could anyone with more experience or access to a wiring diagram help out here?

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You can grab 12V off a cigarette lighter/accessory port. There's one inside the console, right?

3. MTKnife

MTKnife New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't even know where the wires for that one are, and I'm not sure how I'd hide a wire running to the center console. That and the other 12V outlet run into the fuse box (the fuses for them are clearly labeled), but I'm not sure which wires they are.

4. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sorry, it's late, you mentioned tapping 12V in the rear and the center console is about the easiest. I have a power inverter mounted in mine with a 10 gauge direct line (fused!!!) to the battery. It is not hard to route a wire under the passenger seat, under the door sill, around the hv battery fan ducting, etc.

I did a DIY backup camera install over a year ago so I don't remember all details but I do think I followed one of the cigarette lighter wires back towards the fuse box and tapped it on the driver's side. I can take a look tomorrow when it is daylight and my brain is working.

1 person likes this.
  5. MTKnife

MTKnife New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That would be great, thanks! I hadn't thought about running a wire backwards from the center console. I've heard it's fairly easy to remove, but wouldn't I have to get the wire under the carpet somehow in order to hide it completely? How would I do that?

6. FrogmanDave

FrogmanDave New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Very simple. The carpets under both front seats already have cutouts in them. You run the wire through there to the door sill and it's all gravy from there! Actually when you remove the center console you can run the wire under the carpet from there and use the cutout to help fish it across. Either way will work.

1 person likes this.
  7. MTKnife

MTKnife New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah, OK, thanks.