1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need advice for suddenly dead Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by jetcitywoman, Apr 4, 2014.

1. jetcitywoman

jetcitywoman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I was on a trip for a week and just got back to find my car is dead. I opened the door and it made a weird prolonged beeeeeep. Shut the door and tried to start it, seemed to be normal for a second, then the engine and triangle warning lights came on. When I tried to put it into gear, all of the transmission gear indicators flashed at the same time. The engine did not start. I turned the car off, and when I tried to turn it on again, nothing happened, no lights at all. It now has no power, but seems different from a couple times before when I'd left a light on and ran down the accessory battery.

One more clue, my hubby says he had it detailed while I was gone, then pulled it into our garage. It was working fine, then. While I read the manual for hints, I hope you guys can advise. I don't like to take things to the shop with nothing more than "it broke, fix it" so I'm hoping you all can give me clues for things to help diagnose the problem.

2. jetcitywoman

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry, forgot important details: it's a 2007, and I bought it new, no previous owners. No prior problems other than two times when I ran down the accessory battery, and I have it serviced promptly on schedule.

Also, when I press the unlock button on the key fob, both turn indicators on the dash blink twice with an odd buzz in the dash area and then go off. When I open the driver door, it makes a repeated beep beep, not a prolonged one. When I put the key fob into the ignition slot, it has enough power to lock the fob in but no dash lights come on. The light on the power button is green if I press power without having the brake pedal down, or orange if I do it with my foot on the brake.

3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    A 2007 (so built in 2006) with an original aux battery that has been "run down" at least two other times? That battery needs replacing. That's what causes your problems, a dead battery. But once you run it down 1 time, it is never the same. If you drive it every day, not really a problem. But leaving it sitting will let the dead battery rest too low.

dorunron and PriusGuy32 like this.
  4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Replace the 12V battery now.

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  5. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    For every day you don't replace the 12v battery, I will pinch a little old lady (really hard too!) :eek: :D

Totally agree that your 12v is shot. Mine was shot in Sept 2012 (I also have a 2007) and I considered that a good run. I personally recommend the OEM Toyota True Start, after buying several BAD Optimas.

6. jetcitywoman

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks all, will get that replaced ASAP. I have to, need it to get to work on Monday, lol!

7. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    DIY and save money. Don't pay the dealer for a job you can do yourself. Lots of info online on how to change the Gen II battery. Look below in my signature file. Second link post#8 details how I did our Gen II when I changed the battery.

I also agree your battery is toast. Do as you are saying and you should be back on the road soon.

Ron (dorunron)

8. Rph74

Rph74 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes it is a very easy DIY, with the help of this forum. Good luck

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Common complaint....just had it detailed....just had window tint installed...just at dealer for repair/tsb....now have issues.

Mostly because they leave the doors open while working and interior lights on running down borderline 12 volt battery. Or worse yet the car is in accessory not READY and there running the radio. 12 volt battery death.

If going to any of those places shut off all interior lights including the back hatch.

fotomoto likes this.