1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need advice on a 06, should I buy?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusNuevo, Sep 27, 2014.

1. PriusNuevo

PriusNuevo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    06 package 5, with nav. 150000, new hybrid battery from dealership. Excellent condition. He wants 6750.00. What do you guys think? Clean carfax, 2nd owner.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds reasonable, as long as you're aware of the risks of a hybrid with 150,000 miles on her. you're getting 3-4,000. worth of battery, so that's a plus.

3. PriusNuevo

PriusNuevo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I have an 01 with 185000 miles. I got it 2.5 years ago with 125000. The only problem so far was the brake pump that cost me 1500. Other than that it's been fine. What should I expect on the 06?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nothing in particular, but at that mileage, anything can happen. you might not have any problems, or you might end up spending a few thou here and there, it's unpredictable. all the best!(y)

5. PriusToo

PriusToo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 06 with 150 k, I do a lot of highway miles, hybrid battery has been replaced.
    I'm the second owner as of 10 k miles back, car runs well, Im hoping for the best.
    I wish you well, good price, I would go for it.

6. PriusNuevo

PriusNuevo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks for the help. I'm going to see it again today.

7. PriusNuevo

PriusNuevo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    How much did you paid for yours if you don't mind me asking?

8. PriusToo

PriusToo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I paid 5500. The paint and the body has a lot to be desired, and it is just the base model.
    But the rest of the car works great, that is more what I'm interested in.

9. Fifine

Fifine Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The closer you can negotiate the $$$$ to $6000, the better the deal.
    I don't know about valuation in your FLA area, here in So Cal, a clean 2006 Prius with 150k and a new hybrid battery at $6000-6500 would be very attractive.

Read up on the Maintenance forum and particularly these threads:
    What services you need and what you don't | PriusChat
    Common 2G Problems, and What to Do About Them... | PriusChat

and check those issues with the maintenance/repairs done on "your" car. Maybe a lot of the potential problems have already been dealt with.

Also read the 100,000 mi. and 200,000 mi. owners threads. These will list for you what other owners have experienced.

Be informed and buy wisely. Good luck! (y)

10. PriusNuevo

PriusNuevo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I appreciate all the comments. The car is in excellent condition. Well taken care off. Both previous owners were meticulous on taking it to the dealership for service. On kbb is around 7000 so it's fairly priced. I'm hoping he goes for 6500. Thanks.

11. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Having a new battery is a major plus, as it resets the clock on that wear/tear item.

Transaxle (think transmission).
    Ask the owner if it had ever been changed. Toyota says its a lifetime fluid, and to only top off as needed. (Real world translation of lifetime: when the component(s) fail, the lifetime of the fluid has been met. Also, all auto companies want people to be buying cars not driving forever in their old cars.) If it has never been changed, it will probably fail much sooner rather than later, esp when compared to a Prius that has had regular transaxle oil changes.

There are people who speak ignorantly about transaxle oil changes not being necessary, or can be done much later (mileage wise). If you believe in science and empirical evidence, Professor Dennenberg's transaxle oil analysis is irrefutable. LINK
    Art's Automotive and Luscious Garage believes in 30K mile transaxle oil change intervals.

Replacement costs (parts and labor): $2K-$2.5k USED, $4K-$4.5K NEW

Engine
    Whats the current oil consumption? IE, 1/2 quart every 3000miles, 1/4 quart every 1000 miles, etc. As the consumption increases, there will be a point where you will have to consider used engine replacement. Rebuild or going new is very expensive. Replacement should be in the $2K range (parts and labor).

These are big ticket item costs, that you hopefully will not experience, but something to be aware of. Some Gen2 owners have gotten 200K miles+, and some even 300K+ miles, on original equipment, with proper maintenance.

Sruts
    When were they last changed?

Good luck.

PriusToo likes this.
  12. PriusToo

PriusToo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This may have been mentioned .
    But have a pre purchase inspection by a shop that knows the Prius car.
    Will give you a good peace of mind.

13. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You're on the 95 Corridor in South FL, which is a pretty benign environment for cars all things considered.
    If the car grew up there (carfax and Toyota records will confirm) look for corrosion issues. The car didn't bash its way through snow drifts in Michigan's upper peninsula, but its humid and salty down in America's southernmost Yankee state.
    The suggestion about having the car looked at by a mechanic is also a good one.....but I mostly see good things here.

Somebody thought enough about this car to have it re-batteried, and Priuses are good out to 250k if you're good to them.
    Ask pointed questions about oil usage and why they're selling. Play down the nav system as a value adder. It's almost 10 years old, and it was crap when it was new.
    If you buy this car keep the oil level checked and don't be surprised if it uses a little oil.

They're probably wanting 6500.
    Offer 6000 cash and wait a week.

Good Luck!

PriusToo likes this.