1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need another key FOB for my '05 - best way?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ericisbacchus, Aug 28, 2009.

1. ericisbacchus

ericisbacchus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hey everyone. I'm very new here. Just got the Prius on Tuesday. I unfortunately got only one smart key FOB. What did the car come with originally? I called the dealer. They want $264 for a new one (that includes $50 programming labor). Can someone just post a link to a cheap one on eBay or something, or an online store where I can get one? What do I need exactly? Does the dealer have to program it?
    Thanks,
    Eric

ps - i also need a license plate holder for the front...I don't want to have to drill new holes if I don't have to...the two holes already in the car are farther apart than the actual plate holes.

ps - what the heck are those little keys? I didn't get any of course. Valet keys?

2. johnjamis

johnjamis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I got an extra key fob for my 2005. I tried two ebay fobs and only the plug in ignition would work. The ebay fobs will probably only start the car when plugged into the dash slot. The fob function will not work. You must get a really new fob to be sure all functions will work. You should be able to get 10% off on parts from your dealer. My fob was $175 and programing was $40 at King Toyota in Cincinnati OH.

The little key lets you into the car if the fob is dead.