1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

need help charging 12 volt using post in engine compartment

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by priusunum, Mar 5, 2009.

1. priusunum

priusunum priusunum

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    To avoid being stranded on a trip, I bought a handy Sears DieHard Portable Power 950 to have on hand in case I can't start my Prius when,say, I'm at a hotel somewhere, and the 12 volt needs a jump the following morning.
    Unfortunately, I've discovered that the positive alligator clip is too big and won't fit in the small space provided to clip it on the positive terminal in the engine compartment!

I thought I'd found the answer when I bought a Power Bright Power Inverter (model PW200-12), which has a plug that fits into a cigarette lighter plug,(it also has two conventional plugs like the ones in wall outlets) since the DieHard has two of those cigarette lighter-type plugs. I already had a Schumacher Speed Charge Battery Charger that comes with small alligator clips that work just fine with that positive terminal in the engine area, and so long as the car is in the garage, it works ok since the Schumacher charger has a conventional plug I just plug into a wall outlet.

I tried plugging the Schumacher charger into the Power Bright, then plugging the cigarette lighter type plug of the Power Bright into the fully charged Die Hard Jump starter, but although the Power Bright turned on (with a green light), the green light went out almost immediately and a red light went on (meaning the Power Bright automatically turned itself off according to the manual), so no luck: the Schumacher charger would not power up!

Has anyone found a self contained battery charger (that is, one that doesn't require being plugged in to a wall outlet ) that has small enough alligator clips to fit that positive terminal in the engine compartment? If so tell me about it so I can buy one! Or did you figure out some other way to recharge the 12 volt while away from home? I'm willing to purchase yet another charger or whatever if it will work and give me peace of mind.

I've got the OE 12 volt in my 2006 Prius, and I've had no problems yet, but one of these days I will and I want to be prepared.

I enjoy reading Prius Chat and have learned many useful things. Thanks to all who write and contribute their knowledge and experience.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No worries. Visit your local Radio Shack and look for an alligator clip that will fit. Then attach the RS clip to the positive terminal, and attach the clip from your jumpstart device to the RS clip, so you have metal on metal contact throughout.

3. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Like Patrick said, you can extend the positive connection post with a alligator clip (or I guess you could also use other metal that you have handy).

Alternatively, it's been suggested here that you can put the positive clamp onto that vertical flat piece of metal behind the positive connection post:

[​IMG]

Note however that it's metal only on one side, so you'll have to be sure to use the clamp teeth side from your charger that has the wire running through it. See Chuck41's pictures of the different clamp teeth sides below:

4. priusunum

priusunum priusunum

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thank you very much Patrick: what an elegant solution! I tried your idea with my Schumacher charger which has LEDs lit when it's working, and it did work there, so I think it should also work with my Die Hard charger.

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The Prius 12 vdc battery doesn't need a lot of current to boost, as you're not engaging a conventional starter motor. I made up a 3 ft long 16 ga wire with aligator clips on both ends. This is more than enough to boost a Prius

Of course, unless you make special modifications, the "cigarette" plug on the Prius is dead when powered off. You can't use that approach to boost a dead Prius

A lot of booster cables are only "live" on one side of the jaw, as evidenced in the photos. The theory is, clamped onto the battery post, it makes contact.

Except when you take into account the little tab is only live on one side. You'd be sitting there all day wondering why the hell you can't boost your Prius

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    You can replace the large clip with a more suitable one.

I use a Mueller #60C (solid copper) with boot (red). Available at electronics parts suppliers. Or search on the web.

Cut off large junk clip.
    Slip clip boot over wire (the right way round ;) ).
    Strip insulation back about 3/8".
    Twist wire strands tightly, and slip clip over. You may have to spread open the clip ferule a bit.
    Crimp the clip to the wire, using a good quality crimper.
    Solder after crimping, to ensure it doesn't corrode or come loose.
    -After- it cools, slip boot over clip.

7. cellton

cellton New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry if this is slightly off-topic...but the Power Bright power inverters are really good at what they do. I'm excited because I found a good spot to snag them at good prices:
    batterytex.com

Pure sine wave power and modified sine wave power...always needed.

Hope this helps someone!

-C:p