1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help Dealership wants $2000.00 to make repair

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Brady Lamb, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Brady Lamb

Brady Lamb New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I was at O'Reilly's and used their OBDII code reader to scan for codes. It said there were no codes however after disconnecting the scanner my ABS, parking brake and traction control (!) light's all came on. My brake pedal was noticably more stiff.

After reading online everything pointed to an error fault code and after speaking with the dealership they advised me to reset the ecu. So I disconnected teh negative battery terminal and after 5 mins started it back up, all three lights were still on.

I took it into the dealership left it with them. They called me today and said they found the problem and it is my Brake Control EMC part #895450-47130. The said there is an internal short and it must be replaced. Total repair is $2,166.00

I don't understand how something like this is something I would have to pay for. The service rep said himself it is a manufacture's defect that caused the short. Yet because the prius is only covered for 5 year / 60,000 mile warranty, there is nothing they can do.

They also informed me that 3 codes were discovered P1203, P1345, & P1392. I just purchased this vehicle in October and before I bought it I had this same dealership do a full inspection and it came back with a perfect bill of health.

2. Brady Lamb

Brady Lamb New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I uderstand there is no way to predict a system short, however I would expect them to take a little more responsability in this matter. Please advice on next step to take as I cannot afford to spend two grand on this repair and even though they told me it is safe to drive because the hydrolic system is working flawlessly, that simply isn't true the brakes increase in stopping pressure without me increasing the pressure on the brake pedal and a couple other signs of improper brake functi

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her?

4. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Call Toyota HQ in Torrance, CA and ask to speak to a customer service dept. plead your case.

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    When you bought the car did it come with just the balance of the factory warranty or was there also a brief used car warranty?

In looking through the service history were there any trips to dealer regarding the brakes?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    find a shop that might put in a used part from a recycler.

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  7. Brady Lamb

Brady Lamb New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    80,2xx miles
    I bought the car from a used car dealership, the car was his sons for a couple of years. then he moved away and had his dad sell the car for him.
    Can I ask the headquarters for the service history because i wasn't provided any when I bought the car.
    I will call them tomorrow.

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    [email protected] and JMD like this.
  9. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So I'm deducting that you get the service history and if you can show that the brakes have been an ongoing problem you at get Toyota corporate to pay for parts and labor or some percentage of it. If that does not work go back to the used car dealer and ask them to pay. If that does not work tell us what city you live near and perhaps we an recommend an independent repair business that can do the work for less than the dealer.

10. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    5 Totally agree. That is, if all else fails with Toyota.

11. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I know it's a long shot, but please take the time to measure the health of your 12V battery before going any further with repairs. There have been several cases reported where the dealer service dept has misdiagnosed faults due to spurious codes being logged when the 12V battery is very low.

HaroldW and JMD like this.
  12. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I agree with Bisco recycler parts are very cheep compared to new OEM. The risk is you install a faulty part or one near it's end of life.

The other option is trade the car in and use the proceeds toward a down payment of a new car. Interest rates are dirt cheap now and you can get a decade of worry free motoring.

13. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    this is why you should NEVER buy from a used car dealer. even if they provide an aftermarket warranty, some of those warrantys suck, the dealer doesn't really want to deal with some crappy aftermarket warranty company either. if you buy from toyota, you get CPO warranty or buy a toyota warranty.
    i wouldn't trust a used part for my brakes either. you don't know if that part has been sitting out in the rain getting water inside it. and then you get to pay double labor if the used part is no good.

14. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Trade the car in at the dealer and they will pay your loan off than purchase a new Prius C and get a loan. That should be years of worry free motoring.

15. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    It sounds like a problem I had that I documented here:

2008 Prius and CAN/OBDII Scan | PriusChat

Something about using the "live" data function of a CAN/OBDII reader can mess things up sometimes. I have safely used that function on my other vehicles, but I won't attempt it again with my Prius. The dealer charged me $72 to "re-initialize linear valve offset" and that fixed it. As mentioned previously, check out your 12V status. That is always the first thing to check with these vehicles.

16. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Also:
    Scan tool caused Abs, vsc,((!)), parking brake light! | PriusChat

Isn't this a problem with a scanner made by Innova? I know they make a few with other peoples names on it. You might try contacting them.

Avi

17. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Believe that is correct. Mine says Sears Craftsman on the outside, Model 20890, but looks most like the Innova Model 3100.

18. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have an Equus Innova 3130 that Ive had for ~5 years now.

Reading this thread illuminate a light bulb over my head - a few times when Ive used the Innova 3130 on my last vehicle, a 2002 GMC Envoy, it would cause it to stall and not restart for a few minutes or would case the ABS and brake light to come on the dash of the Envoy. Something weird would happen every maybe 1 out of 5 times I paired the two. The truck never gave me problems any other time, but if I drove around with the 3130 hooked up to the OBD2 port (monitoring engine temps for example), I would have to be careful otherwise the truck might stall out and not restart for a few minutes. I presumed that it somehow jammed up the modules communicating to each other.

Ill be really careful with the 3130 on my Prius!!

19. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Wondering if the dealership diagnosis of a failed part versus information above that it could possibly just be a relatively cheap adjustment has helped the OP. I had the same DTC's and symptoms. Suppose it could be an internal short as diagnosed. Why it failed during a code read is odd. When you stop in and have your codes read by these parts stores that offer the service, is there an assumption of no liability?

20. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Manufacturers make diagnostic routines which dealer service departments and other repair facilities follow (usually). I is possible the engineers who wrote the routine for the problem caused by these specific scanners did not anticipate this failure. This in turn could end up in a misdiagnosis. I would imagine if you were able to prove the scanner at the parts store caused the problem, they would most likely take responsibility. I would go after Innova if it were me.