1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need Help Determining source of Damage to Wheel (dealer rotated)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Spryfly, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Spryfly

Spryfly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I took my 5 month (I purchased it used, from the dealer,) old Prius 2010 and for its first oil change.

This service included an oil change and a tire rotation. This is standard for that dealer, so I thought why not.

When I got the car back, the tire pressure warning light was on. I immediately brought it to their attention, and they took it back into the bay and checked all the tire pressures. They said everything was fine and turned off the light.

When I got home and turn the car off then back on for another trip, the tire pressure warning light came back on. I thoroughly inspected all the tires and noticed damage to one of my wheels. I've included a photo and it looks like the plastic has been cut into or somehow fractured.

I'm not sure how a tire rotation is done or if this damage could occur from that, and was looking for opinions. Of course the dealer denies they had anything to do with it.

I would really appreciate feedback on both these problems. The wheels and tires otherwise seems okay. The tire pressure is normal, I checked it.

Thank you experienced Prius owners!

Also, when I purchased the car in May, used, from this dealer, it came with new tires. I know this damage to the wheel didn't exist then (reviewed my photos,) and even a week ago when I washed and waxed it. To me, it looks like "pinchers" have been used to make two "cuts" in the plastic like material. No way could a 'rock' do this.

Opinions? Thank you again!

Attached Files:

2. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is not wheel, this is wheel cover. I bet you or someone curbed the wheel and damaged the tire and thus slow air leak. Been there, done that.

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That would have to be a really sharp curb though. ;) :D

Curbing a wheel or cover usually results in more damage, and scraping, and definitely not clean cut edges as seen in the picture.

SCH-I535

OP, can you see any damage to the sidewall, close to the bead, on this tire, or the other one on the same side of the car?

SCH-I535

4. Spryfly

Spryfly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The tires actually appear ok, I will recheck tomorrow just to be sure.

I can't remember the last time I parked next to a curb. Between two driveways, parallel parking at work and shopping, I would have had to do curb parking long before several hand washes... I would think those jagged edges would have caught on my rags and sponges or I would have noticed it.

Also, if you look at the edges, it's like someone literally cut into the cover. I realize the cover needs to be removed to rotate the tires, and since the warning light and this damage occurred immediately after a tire rotation, I'm strongly suspecting the dealer being the source of the problem. Perhaps that tire has a slow leak, that would be really disappointing if true.... Yikes.

I don't see any damage to any of the tires, here is a wider view.

Thank you for your input, I appreciate it!

iPad ? HD

Attached Files:

5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If the tires are holding pressure, look in your manual for the procedure to reset the TPMS. Do it when the tires are cold.

At least you won't be getting the warning light.

As for the cover, that's cosmetic. The dealer isn't admitting that they caused it, so you're probably not going to get anywhere with them on that.

If it were mine? I'd take all the covers off and put on centercaps. :cool: You could try mending them by filling it in with some epoxy or something, then touching up with some silver paint.

SCH-I535

6. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    To me, those tires and rims don't look OEM for a 2010. It almost looks like you don't have to remove the covers to rotate tires (the lugs are exposed?). Check your tire pressure over a few days to see if that tire is actually losing air. If so, get some soapy water in a cup (dish detergent works well) and use a small fine brush dipping it in the soapy water then gently brushing over the damaged area and look for bubbling. That would shore up your case for dealer damage.

7. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The dealer may well have damaged the hub cap while rotating the tires, they don't put their best and brightest mechanics on jobs such as that. You could ask them but don't be surprised when they say "oh no, we never do anything like that you must have hit a curb".

You might pick up a used one on eBay. If it were mine I would just take the other three covers off and toss them.

8. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    It sure doesn't look like curb damage. But to look for wheel/tire damage you need to remove the trim and inspect the entire wheel and tire. The trim could have been replaced with the damaged part in a different position.

Spryfly likes this.
  9. Spryfly

Spryfly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you so much! Lots of great ideas I hadn't thought of, thank you everyone!

Also, my friend explained to me that "curbing" happens when driving, ie: taking a corner too tight. I didn't realize that is what you guys meant. I hope the dealer wasn't driving my car around when it was being serviced, since I can guarantee that I sure as heck have never ever remotely come close to curbing that vehicle. I think I've put the story together that someone tried to pry off a cover or piece of wheel that shouldn't have been pried off (thank you for pointing out exposed lug nuts,) and thus the damage. I'm going back in to have this cleared up this week and will let you know. (I've only put on less than 200 miles in the 5+ months I've owned it.)

10. PriusInParadise

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The damage to the wheel cover doesn't seem ragged enough to be caused by curbing in the usual sense, against a curb. What about a car wash? Has the car been through a drive through car wash recently? I have seen cases where the wheel was turned against the guide rail inside the car wash, and damaged the wheel or wheel cover. The guide rail has a smooth steel surface, and may cause damage without leaving a ragged edge.

11. Spryfly

Spryfly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've only hand washed it, the dealer might have run it through a car wash during the service, since it came out wet... this new photo includes some other "bending outwards" of the cover, near the "cut" area. (In the photo below, it appears "above" the "cut" area. In the close up photo, its slightly to the bottom.) It almost looks like some device was inserted to pull the cover/rim off and bent it outwards here too. Maybe before the mechanic tried more strongly in the area the cover broke.

I inspected and took photos of the other wheel covers and wheels, even moving the car to look at all angles. Only this cover shows any sign of separating from the tire/wheel base. The others are all on snug, not bent, not damaged.

I hadn't thought of a car wash, very interesting thought.

12. Spryfly

Spryfly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Here are some additional photos...

I know I might come across sounding slightly defensive and upset (and I am not very happy about this situation,) but I do appreciate everyone's input and ideas. Thank you again.

Attached Files:

13. phoenixgreg

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You haven't mentioned any more details concerning the TPMS message or air loss in any of the tires so was that issue resolved?

14. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The dealer might/might not be responsible, but it doesn't look like curbing to me. If you're going to trust them to swing wrenches on your car then I'd contact them with your concerns about the wheel cover and give them the opportunity to foster some good customer relations by replacing the cap with another one. Otherwise?
    Well there's always eBay and self maintenance. ;)
    Your cover looks OEM for a 2010 G3.

If they changed your oil, check their work!
    Just sayin.....

15. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, it this is not curbing, then I stand corrected.
    Despite what someone mentioned above, this is OEM wheel cover, as I used to have the same ones.
    However, we need to put things in perspective. The wheel covers are merely to protect wheels, so some minor damage to the cover is very insignificant.
    Even more importantly, the prius wheel covers actually damage the wheels by rubbing them. If ones cares about wheels, one should get rid of the covers.

16. Nereith

Nereith New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had the same issue after the dealer rotated my tires. It's probably because of the metal tool they use to pry out the covers.

Next time, remove the covers yourself before sending the car for a tire rotation.

17. RL Prius

RL Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    They dropped your wheel cover on the ground. I did that to mine one time. I took the cover off and about to place it on the table. My hand slipped and I dropped it two feet off the ground and it caused the similar damage. From your pictures, it seems like they dropped yours even from higher. I am 99% sure that what happened. Just get a new wheel cover and get it over with. No damage done to your wheel.

18. Spryfly

Spryfly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi all, I'm at the dealer now waiting for a ride to work. The tire pressure light still on even though I checked all tire pressure and it seemed 39 in front and 35 psi in back. The pressures were even numbers and matched. This dealer likes to use nitrogen in the tires for filling them up.

I did check for leaks with soapy water on only the one tire, moved the car slightly and checked again. I didn't see any, and did not check other tires.

Of course I'm accused of curbing the vehicle and the shop manager will be looking at it. This dealer has a VIP program and all this extraordinary customer service -- ha ha.

My only hope is that this is the least of the damage that occurred during the service.

I hadn't thought of the cover being dropped, especially since everything is bent outward. Another great idea, thank you.

19. phoenixgreg

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you are not losing tire pressure, then a simple reset of the TPMS (press little button under steering wheel) should have solved that light. Otherwise there is a problem with the TPMS system or possibly one of the valve stem's batteries has conked out. I just got 2 new tires and asked about that and typically the batteries should last about 7 years plus or minus. Good luck on the wheel cover issue.

20. Spryfly

Spryfly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The dealer reset the light twice, and it keeps coming back on. Hopefully third time is the charm!