1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help: HID Headlights Conversion kit for PIP questions.

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by ggcc, Oct 23, 2014.

1. ggcc

ggcc Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I need your help with the following:
    • Does 2014 Standard Plugin Prius equip with HID?
    • My 2014 PIP headlights are not bright enough. If I want to upgrade these headlight with conversion kit, which kit is the best kit that you recommend in term of plug and play and reliability?
    Thank you for your help.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    1) No, they have "Projector-beam halogen headlights with auto-off feature" - Toyota Prius Plug-in Interior, Exterior & Safety Features

2) It is not legal to sell HID conversion kits in the USA for cars not originally equipped with HIDs, this will make anyone selling them unreliable as they get shut down by the NHSTA. (Any number of fly by night companies do sell them, until caught) Oddly running HIDs is regulated by the states, so it may be legal to drive with lights it is not legal to sell you. As an example Section 25950 of the California Vehicle Code states: “Unless provided otherwise, the color of lamps and reflectors upon a vehicle shall be white or yellow for those visible from in front of a vehicle.” so you need a HID kit without a blue tint to be legal.

3) the upscale PIP has LED headlights, I have not heard that they are any brighter. May I recommend driving lights?

Amazon.com: Optilux H71010321 Model 2020 12V Black Dual Beam Halogen Fog/Driving Lamp Kit: Automotive

ggcc likes this.
  3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No. They have regular halogen bulbs.

I generally use the Morimoto kits and have not had any quality issues. The warranty from TheRetroFit Source is excellent too. This is where most professional retrofitters get their gear. H11: Morimoto Elite HID System - HID Systems from The Retrofit Source Inc

Alternatively, you can buy a cheap ballast from DDM or similar sources but use the Morimoto bulbs. Quality bulbs are very important! Double check your bulb size before ordering and stick with 4300K-5000K. Anything higher looks too blue and won't be as bright.

ggcc likes this.
  4. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Jimbo,

Not to disagree with you, my friend, but I just want to add to your post.

2) Companies like TheRetrofitSource are not in danger of going out of business because they cater to a specific market segment that could be considered off-road use only. *shrug* They moved into a larger building last year and seem to be doing well.

3) The LED headlights on the PIPA are much better than the halogens on the Base model. I feel they are better than an HID kit in the halogen housing as well, however, they are not as good as a quality set of OEM HID projectors like the Honda S2000 or Lexus RX350.

In general I agree with your usual assessment that this is technically illegal. Because the Prius has decent projectors with a cutoff line I don't have a problem with the upgrade. You are not blinding other drivers in general like you would if you stuck and HID kit in a set of reflector-based housing. Grrr those people make me mad. :)

5. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    The Retrofit Source has very good pricing and EXCELLENT products.!!

kenichols29 likes this.
  6. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    And then there are guys who put huge tractor-type tires on their pickups which puts their headlights up to around 6 feet. Until I pass them, I think that they are being carried on a flatbed, but no, they are really that high. I don't understand how those can be street legal, but I see them all the time. Of course, this is the only state where lane splitting by motorcycles has been decreed to be safe and legal, so why not?:rolleyes:

#6 CharlesH, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
    F8L likes this.
  7. ggcc

ggcc Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thank you all, for your input. Perhaps LED is better option if the price is not a lot different. However, some household LED that I have been used is not reliable.

If you know a reliable LED conversion kits for 2014 Plug In Prius, please let me know (I have been using Kenson HID for two cars for more than 5 years with no problem).

8. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Toyota makes LED headlight Assemblys specifically for a Prius PHV, you can buy them at the Parts Department of the Dealership

9. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No. A good HID kit is MUCH MUCH less expensive than buying the LED headlight assemblies and wiring from Toyota. It's a lot let work too.

ggcc likes this.
  10. iluvmacs

iluvmacs Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ggcc likes this.
  11. ggcc

ggcc Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in