1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need Help with Aftermarket Navigation Unit

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Jason Zarraga, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Jason Zarraga

Jason Zarraga Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello,

I am really having a problem identifying and integrating existing OEM units with my aftermarket navigation system.

Background: My OEM Nav that came with the car died. My suspicion is that because the navigation units used to use an optical disc, it would read all the time, leading to premature wear.

In any cause, I am going to purchase an android based navigation unit (eBay for about $400-500) I previously had bought an Astrium unit, but had nothing but terrible experiences, so I returned that unit.

In any case, I am sure one of you guys had figured out a way to integrate the existing:
    1. GPS Receiver
    2. USB/Aux
    3. Backup Camera

The inputs to the Navigation system is a typical aftermarket input (in fact, it was identical to my non-OEM previous nav system). I am hoping that they are the same so I could purchase some sort of an integration kit.

Thank you in advance for all your help!!!!!!

2. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Hope someone can help with your project.

I think your time and money would be MUCH better spent on a $150 Garmin.....that comes with free map updates.
    That way, there is ZERO chance of killing the other functions of the MFD in the process of getting GPS again.

3. DaneH5

DaneH5 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You may want to check around on availability/pricing. Out of China I have seen better pricing. Also have you considered a salvage yard to replace what you had?

4. Jason Zarraga

Jason Zarraga Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The GPS unit has been taken out, I think that thing is pretty much done for hahaha.

I have tried salvage yard but Nav units cost $1,000 easy.

Hmm this is interesting, and surprising. I thought a lot of people put on aftermarket MFD units, so logic tells me that there's at least one person out there who's figured out how to connect the OEM units with an aftermarket part, but that may not be right after all...