1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help with information on used prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Chris Jordan, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Chris Jordan

Chris Jordan New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello I hope I am posting this in the right place. I currently have a 140 mile daily commute and my 2007 impala has just rolled 185000 miles. I am looking at the cost difference between a used non hybrid and a used Prius. I currently drive about 45000 a year with the mix being 15% city 85% highway. basically every 3 -4 years I replace vehicles due to this commuting. Now my main questions are:

1. How is the reliability of a 2010-2013 (no prius c)
    2. Any higher than normal issues typically with the batteries
    3. Since I have to replace every 3 years it really cost effective to even think about a prius?
    4. I typically spend about $14000 to $16000 and I know that the resale on prius holds better then other cars.

Sorry still doing research on all the options and need some fresh opnions on this. I live in the Midwest so 4 seasons apply to battery conditions.

Thanks in advance

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    With the amount of driving you do, you should just buy new and forget about it. We have couriers here on PriusChat that drive 400,000 miles in 3 to 4 years with very few problems.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Consumer Reports says 3% of ten year old Priuses need a battery each year. Not a worry in the age you are looking at. Not sure why you think you have to replace every three years but if you do, you will have purchased 2700 gallons of gas. How many gallons did you buy for the impala?

4. Chris Jordan

Chris Jordan New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    replaced last 2 cars due to maintenance issues with high mileage. sun fire 97 195000, 2005 Pontiac g6 190000. Not sure on gallons used. Only reason why I always buy used is because I don not believe in paying new prices. Also since I am debt free I plan on paying this new addition off quick and I don't want to spend more than 17000.

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Can I be biased and suggest those were made in Detroit not Japan? I bet you find the Prius lasts longer.

6. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    You might want to check your annual gas bills, with a Prius you will cut that cost by about 60% and in carb states the battery warranty is for 150k miles, sounds to me like a one to two year old Prius is the way to go. Don't know about depreciation in the Midwest but here on the West Coast, two year old Prii depreciate by about 1/3 I know this because mine did when I sold it (I bought a bigger Toyota hybrid).

BrianPB likes this.
  7. Chris Jordan

Chris Jordan New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    yup that's what I was leaning towards. Thanks for all of your help