1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need recommendation for aftermarket speakers

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by yam, Sep 22, 2010.

1. yam

yam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Several months ago, I upgraded my 2010 Prius 2 speakers to Alpine SPS-600C components in front and Alpine SPS-600 full range in the rear. They were uncomfortably harsh when running with the factory head unit. I waited in hope that it would improve when I replaced the head unit later.

I recently updated the head unit to a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994. The speakers sound better but still harsh, especially at mid to high volume. Even after aggressive use of the EQ and DSP features, I find that they always sound either harsh or muffled. I just can't get the nice clean warm sound I want.

So I'm beginning to think the Alpine SPS-600C is a poor choice for this vehicle. Does anyone else have experience with this combination, or advice for making them sound warmer and less harsh? Perhaps a recommendation for another speaker that I might like better? I'm considering swapping them out for Polk MM6501.

2. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've run both Infinity Ref, and MB Q - The MB is (IMHO) decidedly better than the IR. I'm running them mounted at the A pillar - so they are very direct - but do a great job imaging sources. The IR was good - and maybe a bit more subdued - less dynamic.

3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think you need a sub to compliment it.

4. yam

yam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks guys. Keep it coming!

For what it's worth, I'm running a Kenwood KSC-SW10 powered sub under the seat. It ain't great but it's a lot better than not having a sub.

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Oh so you already have a sub. Is it possible to filter out some highs with the xover that came with SPS-600C?

6. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You might also try playing around with the placement & mounting angle of your tweeter...off-axis vs. on-axis response can be notably different. I'd also suggest putting some sound deadening in your doors if you haven't already done that.

If all else fails, try going to a shop that has your Alpine drivers mounted side-by-side with some others...do some comparison listening to the same music passages and see what sounds better to you. It will, of course, sound different in the car, but that will at least give you and idea about the tonal differences from one brand to another. If you get a chance, have a listen to Focal, Diamond Audio, Image Dynamics, Hertz, Morel, DynAudio, and others that may not be featured at the big box stores.

7. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You need to move your tweeters to a more conventional place...maybe the upper part of your front doors with 30 degree axis toward the opposite front seat. This may be the cheapest solution to your problem. I would NOT be so fast to buy another set of speakers. If you buy a new set of speakers and mount in the same spots, then i fear that you will still be disappointed.

8. ajc

ajc Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I did a complete aftermarket upgrade - Eclipse CD5030 HU, Alpine PDX-4.100 Amp, Polk MM6501 Component Speakers front & rear, Infinity BassLink Sub. The Polk MM6501 sounds amazing, but I would recommend a good 4 channel AMP (I have the Alpine PDX-4.100) 100 watts per channel.

Check out my complete aftermarket upgrade -> http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-audio-electronics/75574-complete-audio-upgrade.html

Any questions let me know.

9. partsmore

partsmore Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I installed premium speakers from Hybrid Audio - www.batteriesareus.com

WOW - what an improvement!

i will be adding an 1000w amp and no subs...

10. ajc

ajc Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You will see a major improvement if a sub is added. :rockon:

11. yam

yam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well I figured out why my speakers sounded so bright. It turns out that my Ipod was set to "spoken word" EQ. Duh! After changing it to "flat" EQ, everything is sounding much better.

12. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Haha, sometimes the best solution is right under our nose!