1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need to replace your catalytic converter?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 925slave, Oct 18, 2009.

1. 925slave

925slave Newbie

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Have you gone to the dealer and been told you need to replace the catalytic converter? If so it was probably quoted somewhere between $1700 and $2100 for the repair. I live in Western Kentucky around Kentucky Lake and my Prius is a 2005 model with 129,xxx miles and I was quoted $1800.00 for the repair. The dealership told me that the upstream and downstream sensors were fine and that it had to be the converter. I decided to launch an online investigation on this problem due to the price. I have searched this forum many times but only found older models having the problem or people that live in California, I have not found a post were anyone successfully replaced their converter with an aftermarket one. I then called my local muffler shop and their main distributer does not make a converter for the prius so I thought I was out of luck. I also searched online at all the "major" autoparts dealers but none of them list a cat converter. I prepared myself money wise for the repair and then decided maybe to change the sensors first just in case it was misdiagnosed. I went to one of these major stores to get the sensors and while looking up the part the guy told me he could also order me a converter if I needed that as well. So why don't they list them on there website??? I don't know but I went back to my muffler shop and asked if he could install it if I bought it. He then called another distributer and found out that he could order the same thing. He told me the converter and installation would probably be cheaper than the part itself at the store. I took the chance and had it replaced and so far so good almost 1000 miles and no code. The replacement was a direct fit and he said it was really no problem at all to change. I know you cannot purchase this aftermarket unit if you live in California but anywhere else it would be worth the effort to check with your local shop before going through the dealer. The aftermarket converter is made by Walker and the part number is 16337. I hope this helps somebody else and keeps them from spending the $2000 the dealer wants. The converter and installation cost me $468.00, now to figure out what to do with the leftover $1500. ;)

1 person likes this.
  2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good tip, but jeez. Any idea what killed the first converter? You don't put junk like mothballs, gumout, or anything other than gasoline and E10 in the tank, I hope :_>

3. 925slave

925slave Newbie

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The dealer could not give an explanation as to why it was bad other than the high miles. Also, no I do not put anything but gasoline into the tank but my wife on the other hand???

4. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    You put your wife in the tank? How crude! (or should that be 'refined'?)

;)

5. Sandy

Sandy Hippi Chick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL Men!

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is what first came to my mind as well! Hahaha

Sorry I can't help. I don't think I've heard of anyone having a cat go bad in a Prius. Now in my old 2000 Trans Am those suckers went bad all the time. :rolleyes:

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A known trouble area with Classic Prius was the catalytic converter. However the failure more frequently was the HCAC (hydrocarbon absorption chamber) valve, vs. the converter.

You can buy the Toyota catalytic converter for $1,096 plus shipping:
    Champion ToyotaWorld

Aftermarket converters sometimes have a short service life, but the OP got a good price so that might be a good tradeoff.