1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New 12 volt battery alternatives to OEM

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Agape, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Agape

Agape Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi All,

This thread is to look for alternatives to OEM batteries. Currently no batteries in my links below are available in US. They are available in UK and in some European countries.

I looked a few alternatives to OEM 12 Volt auxiliary Prius batteries and found alternative for less than $100/€80:

It appear that VARTA sells replacement batteries for both I and II Gen Toyota Prius

US site(specifications and technical data):

ProductFinder - VARTA Automotive

http://us.varta.com/

http://www.johnsoncontrols.com/publish/us/en/products/power_solutions/Brands/VARTA.html

Not sure where you can purchase them in US (could someone confirm they are available in US) Battery Code: Varta B33 or Varta 157

Edited: ( :(this battery is currently not available in US )

for US please see this thread (post number #6 by jtrosario):

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-main-forum/9271-replacement-12-volt-auxiliary-battery.html

UK/(European) reseller:
    B33 Varta Blue Dynamic Car Battery 45Ah

I would need to check with BOSCH Europe as 2nd alternative for European Prius owners , however their online part finder is quite poor.

Regarding 12 V battery. In US company ''Johnson Controls'' are listed as company with agreement with VARTA. It would be worth asking about their stock or even new type of Start-Stop batteries.

Interesting article below:
    http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...-edison-best-new-product-award-119606704.html

2. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    The battery does not seem to be available in the US.

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    At least your country is listed. Canada isn't! Impressive myopia!

4. kohnen

kohnen Grumpy, Cranky Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Bonus if the battery is a sealed battery that can be shipped. I think that's what makes the Optima Yellow-top so popular - you can order it online.

I imagine that the challenge for getting a different 12V battery would be how to get it shipped for a reasonable price.

5. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    With minor adaptations, approximate size, approximate AH rating, almost any battery will do. One important point that is not well known is: It is recommended that every car/truck battery be charged about every 6 months. I will probably get all sorts of flak on this, however if ones interested in trouble free driving, it makes sense to me!

6. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The prius is the ultimate case of an automobile that requires a deep cell battery, leave a prius in ALT mode (12v systems running, ice unable to spin) and the 12v dies in a half hour, once a battery dies it's dead unless it's a deep cell battery, The optima is an excellent deep cell battery that's got the bonus of being a Jell battery, it can be installed inside the cabin of the car and it doesn't emit noxious gases.
    Installing a battery that requires periodic topping off with distilled water would be detrimental to the passengers of the vehicle and possible to other users of the road.
    IMHO,YMMV

7. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    On another forum, a fellow that worked for a battery manufacturer recommended that giving a battery a good charge around every three months would increase its life. It was something about how the car's charging system doesn't bring it up all the way, unless you're always driving about 8 hours.

8. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Good point, I and others feel the charging system is insufficient, perhaps current limiting. Could be the Engineers designed it so to protect something. The HV ?

9. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The Humans? If a lead acid battery overcharges, hydrogen gas is created. (which is why you only want an externally vented battery in a Prius, the battery is in the passenger compartment with you) If the battery expands too rapidly due to overcharging, you have sulfuric acid in the passenger compartment. (Which is why you only want AGM batteries in a Prius)

Someone at Toyota may have decided overcharging was bad for their customers.

10. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    Excellent point. Another reason to use ONLY AGM batteries is that in a crash, you don't want all that acid splattered all over the passenger compartment...ouch!

11. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The VW Bug had a battery under the seat, a wet cell, not vented. Never did any H2SO4 splash all over me, nor did the car explode because of a overabundance of Hydrogen gas. I owned it for 10 years. But continue to worry, as FEAR drives the market. Pardon my English, but I think the fear ramblings are total BS. :cheer2:

12. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My Aunt drove a 1969 VW Bug...and one day she called my parents distressed because it wouldn't start. My father asked her if she had checked the battery. "What Battery?" was her response...she had driven it a decade without even knowing a battery was in the back under the seat.

So you are quite correct about VW bugs and their respective batteries. BUT...I don't think this discussion is based so much on fear but simply honest possibility and chemical reality.

I also remember a story from a High School teacher of mine that talked about being in a wreck in a VW Bug and being injured by the battery that somehow was released within the cabin.

So just because something hasn't happened to you, doesn't mean it can't happen.

The Battery under the seat of the VW Bug, was not the greatest aspect of the vehicle. In 40+ years, we've come a long way in automobile and battery design and technology.

You can do what you want, but I'd recommend a sealed, deep cell, gell battery in a Prius. Why not? It's kinda one of those things you hope you never need to benefit from, but IF you do? You'll be glad you made that choice.

2 people like this.
  13. eestlane

eestlane Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Talking about a VW Bug, I installed a second battery under the other side of the rear, connected in parallel to the OEM battery, to help start the car in the cold St. Louis winters. Worked well, started every time, no gas discernible and no explosions! Much of this stuff has to do with lawyers getting overly involved.

1 person likes this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Regarding periodic charging: there a number of chargers available that taper the charging rate down as the battery approaches full charge, can even be left on indefinitely. They will also run a "desulphating" cycle (no clue what that is, just reporting ;)), as part of the charging. I hook up a CTEK 3300 periodically, especially if something's happened, like a door left ajar, map light left on, etc.

15. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    1 person likes this.
  16. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Good practice, I have 4 different chargers and all of them will eventually equalize to the battery voltage and charging will diminish to almost nothing, if left on long enough.

17. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Good article, TY

18. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The Electric Me: I agree with all aspects of your post, TY :D

19. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There are still cars in production or in use where the battery is inside the car, three that come to mind are Mercedes A class (under driver feet) Renault Scenic Megan (under front seat) the original Mini van and pickup (behind drivers seat) and there are probably many more.

20. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I enjoy my frugality as much as the next person, but not at the expense of personal safety, and most definitely not for -- at most -- $50 savings every 4 years or so.

Think about it -- people are talking about risking sulfuric acid burns to save one dollar a month. 'Ouch' does not even begin to describe it. Try being skinned alive.

1 person likes this.