1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New 2005 Seaside Pearl Prius owner (First Toyota)

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by jeff652, Feb 10, 2014.

1. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello,

Hi. I'm Jeff. I just bought a very nice single owner Seaside Pearl 2005 Package #6 Prius with 125k miles for $6,500. I have been a Honda only person for the last ~15 years. I am really enjoying having four doors and the gas mileage has been very nice so far for the 'heavier' Prius.

I have been a Honda Master Mechanic for 15+ years and Insight hyper miler. My best 10 gallon tank with my 2000 Insight is 918 miles. I'm very curious to see what the Prius can do. I have already been cracking the mid 50 MPGs just driving around town, and have been very impressed so far. I'm going to daily drive her for a while and see how much I can squeeze out of the Toyota hybrid system.

I'm working on adapting some very well established 'Honda' technology to the Prius that will significantly increase the lifespan of the 1st & 2nd generation Prius HV batteries for a fraction of the cost of battery replacement. I'll post more soon, but for now I'll keep reading this site and learning as much as I can around here.

Thanks
    :)
    Jeff

2. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here is a photo of the new ride:

[​IMG]

First modification will be window tint - and then new floor mats :)

usnavystgc likes this.
  3. P&T PRIUS

P&T PRIUS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hey Welcome Jeff, I am also, an Insight guy, and active on IC. My Username is (insight for life) any who, our prius is my wifes car. and she hypermiles as well as she knows how, she sees 49-54 mpg. when I drive its usually a little more. I dont drive the car alot, but I feel its harder to squeeze more mpgs above epa out of the prius than the insight is. welcome to the prius club! glad to have another "insighter" here.

4. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Since you guys are both Insighters (first gen I presume), We have a PC member that claims to have a lifetime mpg of 89 on his Gen I Insight. I personally don't believe its possible (maybe a trip or two but not lifetime mpg). What do you guys say?

5. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Oh, btw, welcome to Prius Chat and, that looks like a really nice car. Pls share how to extend the battery life asap. :)

6. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    89 LMPG seems like a stretch to me. I had to work *really* hard to get 92.8 miles over 10 gallons of gas. To live/drive that way for years upon years would be quite impressive

7. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It would be excruciatingly hard and a pain in the butt. Not realistic IMO.

8. P&T PRIUS

P&T PRIUS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    If you had 2 insights (which he does) then yes it is very possible. You simply drive the 89 mpg one only when you can really hypermile and get exceptional mpg. I honestly believe I could get 100 mpg + -. Using one car as a daily driver and one strictly to hypermile on the freeway drafting or something similar.

9. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My Prius has the combination meter issue. Freaked me out driving home from work tonight. Thankfully the in-service date of the car is Late Sept. 2005. Time to call Toyota's Customer Experience Center and try to set up the extended warranty repair pre-dealership schennanagins

10. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    He doesn't claim to have two. I don't believe you could. Its easy to say and hard to do. I can say I believe I could go basejumping but doing it is a totally different ball game. I simply do not believe that 89mpg (lifetime) is possible for anyone in a Gen 1 Insight. If I saw it with my own two eyes, I'd believe it.

11. P&T PRIUS

P&T PRIUS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Well its also relevant to how far "lifetime" 1000 miles 10,000 miles? 100k miles? He does claim to have 2. He says that the 89mpg is "retired" tho. Look on insight central his user name is "theavenge" that is if we are talking about the same guy. I'm not saying he is or isn't telling the truth. Just saying it can be done with effort.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome jeff, all the best with your new prius!(y) have you had any interaction with the new hyacc yet?

13. Delta Flyer II

Delta Flyer II Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Very nice ride!

Welcome to the Toyota side… this is my 4th Toyota… Welcome to the Prius family and Prius Community.

Congrats!

14. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Getting the Prius back from the dealer today. Had her for only five days when the combination meter issue happened. Thankfully Toyota covered it as I have ~8 more months on the extended warranty. Can't wait to actually drive the car again :)