1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New 2013 Prius C, poor MPG

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by rodneyljr, Jan 31, 2014.

1. rodneyljr

rodneyljr Guest

Also, I feel really silly for not thinking about this. I guess I just needed to take the 350 miles that I get in the tank and divide it by the 7-8 gallons that it takes me to fill up when completely empty. I'm not exactly sure whether it's 7 or more. I just noticed it was around 7. If its 7 gallons, then I'm getting 50MPG, if it's 8, then I'm only getting about 43. Like I said, my trip a and b say 41 MPG. Which seems really low.

2. rodneyljr

rodneyljr Guest

:confused:

This seems logical and I feel silly for not even thinking about this

3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Because NOBODY really figures out exact miles per a completely used up tank. Isn't that obvious?

It's always miles driven divided by gallons pumped. Which when you fill up your tank you can always find out by looking at the pump or the receipt.

So when someone say's I've only got X amount of miles per tank, I'm assuming they aren't driving that tank to empty.

And yes if the filling pump is accurate, it will tell you exactly how many gallons you've received. If you know the total capacity of your gas tank, you can then know exactly how much was left in your tank before you refilled.

This should all be obvious.
    Are you just trolling for reaction?

4. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Rodneyljr, if you rest your trip meters every time you fill up, the mileage will be representative of your actual, although likely 1-3 mpg on the high side. For accuracy, divide the gallons at fill-up into the miles on that tank as Electric pointed out.

Brad K likes this.
  5. rodneyljr

rodneyljr Guest

I don't reset it every time but I have a few times. What you are both saying makes perfect sense (Electric & jhinsc). I'm only getting about 7.5 gallons into my take (maybe attributable to the cold weather). I'm getting 350 miles from that so, 350/7 gives me 50.

Two things about this. My trip a and b only say 41 mpg.

Should I trust the trip meter or the the milers per tank/gallons?

I read this link. It says that the Prius C has a 9.5 gallon tank that should get 438 miles. That's 46, which would be correct for the highway.

Can't post links yet but it's at fueleconomy.gov

6. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I just checked my Fuelly records, and I have 36 fill-ups, with miles per tank ranging from 227 to 482. So comparing my miles per tank with what other owners get is meaningless.

But my lifetime average is 50.1 mpg, which is a number anyone can compare.

7. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    When were the trip meters last reset? If they weren't reset when you filled up the tank, then they're useless for seeing how that specific tank did.

The computer is generally pretty close on the Prius, but as jhinsc said, its usually a little higher than the miles/gallons you put in. Miles/gallons you put in is generally the most accurate, but its still best to average it over several tanks because you're not necessarily always filling it to the same level.

8. rodneyljr

rodneyljr Guest

Are you tracking your lifetime average on your trip meter?

9. rodneyljr

rodneyljr Guest

I didn't reset the trip meter on my last fill up. I'm going to fill up and reset it to see how it goes.

10. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is spiraling a bit out of control.
    To get your MPG you need to pay attention to how many gallons you have put in your tank...and how many miles you have driven on those gallons.
    Yes...MPG over a period of time is much more accurate than any comparison of miles per "tank".

But come on...lets be real. There are a lot of threads and posts where drivers of the SAME vehicle present how many miles they get "per tank".

So coming into a specific Prius c forum and proclaiming I'm only getting X amount of miles per tank is not a meaningless quest. Even if any comparison cannot be as accurate.

I've seen plenty of threads where people exclaim...I'm getting about 430 miles per tank...on 9.90 gallons on fill up.

For purposes of this thread, I just think the OP wanted some immediate feedback if their mileage was abnormally or problematically low...based on how far they were driving on a "tank". A generalization.

It's a fair question that can be given a fair answer.

11. rodneyljr

rodneyljr Guest

I was looking for a comparison of whether my experience was normal or not. I've gotten a lot of insight from those involved with this thread. Thanks to everyone for helping me understand.

12. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    No, it's from total miles driven divided by total gallons used, and it's calculated on the Fuelly website. This is a free service you can sign up for, then for each fill-up you enter the odometer reading and the number of gallons and it keeps track of everything for you. Click on the Fuelly link in my signature for more info.

Brad K likes this.
  13. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Easy... how many miles did you drive on a tank of gas... miles per tank...

14. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I have 36 fill-ups recorded, with miles per tank ranging from 227 to 482. Which one should I answer your question with?

15. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    None, it wasn't directed at you. He wasn't understanding the concept of miles per tank.

16. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Quit driving based on the miles per tank and check miles since refill and gallons dispensed.
    Its not that hard to get 450 miles prer tank if you run it down to bone dry (and endanger your injectors which DO NOT like to run dry. So if you refill with 9 gallons and you get 50 mpg thats 450 miles per tank. Big fing deal.
    Its not how far you go on a tank. its how much the mpg is no matter how much gas you use. I only get 45 to 48 mpg because I drive like its a normal car. If you want to tip toe around getting more than 50 mpg have at it - and get run over because you are a mobile traffic pylon.
    Keep in mind: big squashes little.

ftl likes this.
  17. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Quit driving based on the miles per tank and check miles since refill and gallons dispensed.
    Its not that hard to get 450 miles prer tank if you run it down to bone dry (and endanger your injectors which DO NOT like to run dry. So if you refill with 9 gallons and you get 50 mpg thats 450 miles per tank. Big fing deal.
    Its not how far you go on a tank. its how much the mpg is no matter how much gas you use. I only get 45 to 48 mpg because I drive like its a normal car. If you want to tip toe around getting more than 50 mpg have at it - and get run over because you are a mobile traffic pylon.
    Keep in mind: big squashes little. Attorneys are currently looking at defending bigs by asserting 'contributory negligence' by 'littles' driving too slowly. Life ain't fair but no regulator says it should be, besides those of Engels and Marx but they just want to get elected to be in control.

18. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Rodneyljr, get into the habit of resetting your trip meter at every fill-up, then calculate your mpg's to see how you're doing. There's no other way to do it accurately, and like I said earlier, your car's mpg meter will be off a little to the high side. You have to be consistent in the way you document your mpg's, otherwise all you have is meaningless data that tells you, and us, nothing.

19. Brad K

Brad K Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    just put gas in mine for the third time, first two times only about 5.8 gallons so not near empty, and got about 46 mpg. This time got 393.7 miles and only took 7.73 gallons, had just gone to the last bar. Tanks average 51 mpg. Only 1040 miles on the car so far, keeps getting better with age.

20. riban

riban Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't worry I don't even get 300 miles on my take (about 480km) ..I'm hoping its just due to winter otherwise this car gets the same mileage as an 80s buick ...