1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New battery/reverse beeping

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jbean, Apr 1, 2014.

1. jbean

jbean Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Last week I was told I needed a new engine battery because of low voltage. Later that day I put the car in reverse and it started beeping. I thought something was wrong because the battery that I've had since October 2008 didn't do that. I took my car back to the dealer to have it checked. The technician said that he couldn't change the setting. I also had 3 recalls fixed the day the battery was replaced.

Will someone please explain to me about the beeping when in reverse. Why didn't it do that with my original battery and why is it doing it now? Or could it be something else? I hate it!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The reverse beep is a normal sound you would hear on the Prius. You probably had yours disabled. There is write up on here that shows you how to disable the reverse beep.

The dealer should be able to do this as well. If you didn't have the beep when you brought the car in, surely you shouldn't get your car back with the beep. If you can't figure out how to do it yourself (some other members will probably assist shortly), you should talk to the service manager at the dealership and have him take care of it. This is 100% something a dealer would know how to do.

3. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    jbean,

Real easy to turn off the beeps. Follow the instructions below. I would advise you to print this out so you can take it to the Prius when you do it. If you a word processor you can use, copy and paste the instructions to a file for reference purposes.

Turn off the seatbelt beep while you are it. To do the seatbelt, you have to be in the seat you are adjusting. Driver and passenger seat can be disabled. I had my wife sit in the passenger seat while I was in the driver seat when turning off the seat belt beep on both seats.

The instructions I am providing will work on ALL Gen II Prius.

First part of instructions is for the Reverse Beep.
    Second part is for the Seatbelt Beeps.

JC already explained why the beeps started after the battery swap. I can't add anything to it. Hope this helps ya!

Ron

1. Power on the car (IG-ON or READY) and using the Trip/ODO button, make sure ODO is displayed (not Trip A or Trip B).
    2. Power off the car.
    3. Now power on the car to READY (brake on).
    4. Within 6 seconds of powering on, press and hold the Trip/ODO button for 10 seconds or more (there is no indication... just count)
    5. WHILE STILL HOLDING ODO *after* the 10 seconds, shift the "gear" selector to R, then press the P button. Now release the Trip/ODO button.
    6. If the last step was successful, "b on" or "b off" should be displayed in the location where the Odometer is normally displayed (front dash area). "b on" is beep on (default), and "b off" is beep off.
    7. Press Trip/ODO to toggle the mode.
    8. Power the car off to exit the toggle mode.
    9. Good to go.

And to disable each of the front seatbelt warning beeps, follow these instructions:

1. Be sure someone is sitting in the seat which seatbelt beep you wish to disable.
    2. Without your foot on the brake, turn on your Prius and make sure you are in ODO mode (not Trip A or B). Power off the Prius
    3. With your foot on the brake, turn on the Prius. As soon as the ‘Ready’ light is lit, press and hold the ODO button for at least 10 seconds.
    4. Keeping the ODO button pressed, insert the seatbelt that you wish to disable the beep for. At this point, ‘b- on’ should appear on your dashboard display.
    5. You can now let go of the ODO button, and each press of the ODO button toggles between ‘b- on’ and ‘b-off’. To disable the reverse beep, simply set it to ‘b-off’, the power off the Prius.

JC91006 likes this.
  4. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    OK so what models come with that backup alarm enabled ??
    Neither of my '13 Cs have it.

And I don't think it is a good idea to routinely disable the seatbelt alarm.
    It serves a useful purpose for most people.

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is the GenII forum.

dorunron likes this.
  6. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Full size Gen III 2013 Prius will go beep beep beep continuously when you back up. Also 2014 Prius "V" does it. With Techstream software you can adjust the beep to one short beep in full size Prius. Just did ours yesterday.

Everyone has their own opinion about the seatbelt reminder. It is useful for some and an annoyance to others.

Ron (dorunron)

7. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I guess every forum this size has to have a few crab-asses.
    So what are you saying, just because I don't own a Gen II model I'm not welcome here ??

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No, my meaning is the Forum applies to the features of GenII

Of course you are welcomed here, this place is like the bar on Cheers!

9. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    And the response wasn't helpful at all.......because the next post goes on to explain that it also applies to some Gen III models too.

I guess my real question is: Since ALL Toyota's don't have that......and not even all Toyota hybrids.....why some and not others ??......if anybody knows why, that is.

10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The post after by Ron mentioned a similar feature also available on GenIII cars....kinda related feature that moved from one generation to next.

The answer to your question.........most likely a cost cutting feature. Some options available on more expensive models and they cut out on less expensive models to save costs. The beep is not like a lifesaving airbag, it's an annoying beep that can be taken out and save $10 per vehicle built

11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    "... just because I don't own a Gen II model I'm not welcome here?"
    You are welcome, but the point of organizing forums by model type is to allow specialization. Since the regulars on the G2 forums generally do not also own a Prius c, it is not reasonable for you to pose a Prius c-specific question here, and expect to receive an informed response.

dorunron likes this.
  12. Houston Hybrids

Houston Hybrids Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is a YouTube video that lists step by step instructions on disabling your reverse beep warning :) I am not sure if I am allowed to post it on here or not, but you should be able to find it easily :)

Jessica

13. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Jessica,

You can certainly post YouTube Video here on PC. Simply copy and paste the URL into your post and the video will show up automatically.

FWIW, I would like info on your shop. Please send me a PM or "Conversation" on this subject.

Best of luck to you,
    Ron (dorunron)

14. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Sigh.
    It was NOT a C-specific question.
    I did not know until a couple of days ago that ANY domestic automobile had that annoying beep, especially not with ON as a default.

15. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That may not have been a C specific question, but this is a GenII specific forum. I don't mean any disrespect but it's hard to answer the question you posted since it's not related to GenII

16. jbean

jbean Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II

I tried the Reverse Beep instructions three times and it still beeps. Any other ideas?

17. jbean

jbean Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I took my car back to the dealer and the mechanic could not remove the beeps. I did not speak with him directly; it is what the customer service person told me.

18. jbean

jbean Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't think I'm posting correctly.

19. jbean

jbean Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II

20. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    jbean,

When going through the process did you see the "b on" where the odometer normally is?

If you answer is no, make certain are starting the process with the odometer showing and NOT one of the two trip odometers. If you follow the instruction ver batim it should work for you.

Ron (dorunron)