1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New camera install (Cheap Ebay cameras)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by rrolff, May 24, 2010.

1. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Probably a loose connection. Could also be that it died. Make sure you are getting power @ the camera first thing. No way to tell if the camera is "on".

2. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I tested the camera functionality, when it arrived from China, via TV set AV input and using the external 12V power supply.

3. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Your wires are not seated/connected properly. Go to each, and re do them - end to end... Then enjoy your camera...

The cam could be bad - but I doubt it from your description... HU would be the last thing - but that is highly unlikely...

4. us_matrix

us_matrix Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Can you show me the link where did you buy the rear camera? I found the seller factorykiss from ebay but he carries different kinds of rear camera and not sure which one is the right one for 2010 Prius. How's the picture quality at night?

Did you need to modify the factory camera hole? Or just sit right in?
    Which HU you have? I am planning to buy the Rosen and not sure if the rear camera can connect directly...

Thanks.

5. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought the Camry09 camera at autodvdgps.com (China). I think this is the product:
    http://www.autodvdgps.com/car-reverse-rearview-camera-for-toyota-camry-09-cmos-ntsc-p-561.html. I see the HD model for USD 49 just now, which was not available at time of my purchase.
    I made a new DIY plug for the factory opening, as I wanted to keep the original plug. I have the EU car, so maybe the camera plug is different size than US one.
    See this:
    [​IMG]

More pictures from the install process can be found at my install gallery:
    PriusChat Forums - PaJa's Album: Chinese HU - QL-TYT965

6. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The 'Camry' cams fit in the existing hole with no modification needed. Paja added a little trim, but really there's no need for that.

Search factorykiss for Camry 98, or autodvdgps like Paja mentioned.

I like my colorful distance lines (factorykiss). There are many cams out there - any camry one should work fine...

7. us_matrix

us_matrix Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks and will get the camry 09 cam.

How did u guys run the rear cam cable form HU all the way to the hatch door? Through glove box then passenger door steps? Do I need to remove the rear seat pad and reattach seat vent panel to get to the rubber seal hatch door? Any info is very appreciated.

8. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wired it the other (driver) side, along front, rear door steps, removed rear seat, opened the rear left side and followed the factory harness lines. I used the back light signal to power camera.
    BTW, Rolf - what is size of US camera plug? The EU model has roughly 45x45mm opening - too much to fit autodvdgps.com Camry09 camera sized about 30x30mm.

9. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As Us-matrix asked for some more details, I'm adding few words, which can be useful for others as well.

First of all I disconnected 12V battery and isolated its "-" wire.
    I used this way to wire backup camera:
    AV cable with yellow connectors from HU's AV input, down to the above pedal area, removed the left, driver plastic cover between foot brake and door (one plastic nut and few plugs) removed the drivers door, floor inside plastic sill, removed B (center)pillar T-shaped plastic cover, removed rear door, floor plastic inside sill. There is a OEM harness, so just tape AV cable together with it
    Now we are at left rear seat area. Removed the low rear seat cushion, removed the plastic between rear, left door and upper rear cushion (there is one screw down and some plastic plugs) -> Pic1. Removed the left luggage area linning (two screws - baggage holders and plugs), removed the C pillar cover. After that I removed all plastic trims and pieces from the cargo area. Now we have totally opened rear left area + cargo and we are ready for the next wirring -> Pic2.
    Pic1
    [​IMG]
    Pic2
    [​IMG]
    I used the existing original harness traces to wire the power from right side backup lamp to the C plillar area where the power and AV cable met. I taped them together, traced them along the original harness to upper center position just close to the rubber pipe between roof and 5th door.
    I removed inside plastic trims from 5th door (starting with biggest panel) and outter plastic panel under spoiler (4 nuts and plastic plugs as usual).
    With usage of liquid soap I fished it through the rubber pipe ->Pic3
    Pic3
    [​IMG]
    The next way is along the 5th door left windows side. Now we have power and and AV cable just behind the final position. I drilled the 15mm hole (the camera AV connector has to go through) to have an access through the door to the plastic panel where the camera sits. I painted the drilled hole well to protect the metal against the rust. I placed the camera using the DIY reduction plug and hot-melt glue, wired camera's cable through the hole, added some rubber tape layers to protect the camera wires against wearing and I fitted the outter plastic panel back to the position. After that I connected all wires together, e.g. AV yellow connectors, camera's red "+12V" with wire from backup lamp and for camera's "-" I used some close enough nut connected to the car frame. After the operation test I returned all panels and linning back in the opposite order.
    The leghth of supplied AV cable was so-so enough, have a AV cable externsion ready or RadioShack opened in time of installation :)
    Tools needed:
    a plastic, V shaped, pry tool (visible on Pic2 on HV battery cover, 12mm hex wrench, flat screwdriver

10. us_matrix

us_matrix Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for your great help.
    I am searching for the rear cam and I found two Camry rear cam 08 and 09 and they are in different size see link below. The 08 is 43mm wide and the 09 is only 35mm wide. It looks like the 08 rear cam is more in direct fit.... which one did you guys get?

09 camry
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2009-CAMRY-TOYOTA-Car-Rear-view-REVERSE-Mirror-Camera-/190482772833?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item2c59a87361

08 camry
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-CAMRY-TOYOTA-Car-Rear-view-REVERSE-Mirror-Camera-/190482772802?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item2c59a87342

11. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The "Camry hole" is around 35mm - the opening is not 43mm. Paja: I'd guess this is the same globally (why would they change the hole size).

You can pull/loosen trim on the sides, then pull the trim over each door opening - and run it there...

12. cycle11111

cycle11111 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you already have a backupcamera on a Gen III 2010 can you direct replace with this camera. I love the distance lines.

13. skilbovia

skilbovia Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have the reverse camera in my 2010 Prius V. But it has become slightly askew. Is there any way to move it slightly. I don't think I need to replace the one that's in there but I'd love to know how to realign it. Thanks.

14. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Rolf, if you saw http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...install-cheap-ebay-cameras-3.html#post1236635, you can see the size difference. I'll measure and post the original plug over the weekend.

15. us_matrix

us_matrix Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for everyone and especially rrolff and Paja's details explanation. I just ordered the camry 09 from factorykiss on ebay and Rosen HU from ADCMOBILE. (Walt is the great guy to deal with and very knowledgeable of the Rosen HU). I will report back after the installation and hopefully get it done in next two weeks.

16. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is promised picture of camera hole plug from Prius EU version:
    [​IMG]

17. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

18. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My camera went through the opening easily with lot of space around. It was reason I spend 1 hour to cut&sand&paint the new plug from the plexiglass.
    RRolf: could you make (when you find time) a detail picture of your camera install?

19. us_matrix

us_matrix Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just installed the 09 camry rear cam and Rosen HU. Like to thanks everyone's help and info. :rockon:
    Basically, I used the rearsight pdf as my reference to remove trims, kick panel, door sills, rear side panel and run the rear cam video cable all the way to the factory camera hole. The pdf has actual picture to show you what is behind the panel so you have an idea before you take them away. http://www.trdsparks.com/install/00016-00085instPrius.pdf
    The 09 camry cam video cable was not long enough so I had to ran to hardware store to get a RCA cable to extend it. (It shorted about 2 feet). The rear cam slide in to the factory hole after I removed the factory plastic spacer. However, it left a big gap about 1" (see pic). I just used a double side tape to cover the gap for now since it was long day for us (spent 7 hours for whole installation). How did you guys cover the gap? Did you use the factory plastic spacer. I was thinking about to cut a rectangle hole on the plastic spacer but that will cut away all the clips which used to support for sliding onto the factory camera hole....

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  20. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Nice doc!

The rear camera area (behind the plastic) is not a sealed area. It is meant to allow water to move top to bottom (take a close look - when it rains, water goes back there). There is no need to cover the gap - and in fact, it probably hinders the water moving out...