1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New camera install (Cheap Ebay cameras)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by rrolff, May 24, 2010.

1. johalareewi

johalareewi Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine is factorykiss too (the non-CCD camera). The camera has started to fail as it warms up. It is good for a minute or 2 then goes off.

Have now fitted a cheap CCD camry 09 cam (12 GBP) and yes it is much clearer and handles the dark better, but the lens is more wide-angle so the view is very curved. Also the lens points more towards the ground so the 3m marker line on the camera picture is really less than 0.5m in real life. It also points more to the left leaving a blind spot on the right. Which CCD cam are you using?

2. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree totally. My first backup camra was CMOS one (autodvdgps.com), but it didn't survive its first 3 month. The supplier replaced it with new one and free of charge, including P&P. That one last longer, let say 1/2 of year, but it failed againg with blurry image. I made some surgery of the camera and it looks the CMOS image chip was fried - maybe by a direct sun exposition???? My final and 3rd camera is SONY CCD based and it has a fantastic image quality. It is fully comparable with the OEM camera which I have in my wife's Toyota Yaris car. It was a little bit more expensive in that days, e.g. 2 years ago.

3. Ajwatuc

Ajwatuc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I installed same camera paid 16 shipped from china. I havent any issues with it fogging up. The install was pretty simple upto the rubber boot and getting cables through it. I pulled the plastic plug down the rubber boot connects to. Then ran my wires the put the rubber boot back on then push the plastic piece back up until it clicked in place.