1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Fog light bulbs: Possible to install upside down?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by drewtx, Nov 3, 2014.

1. drewtx

drewtx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Over the weekend I installed new Fog Light bulbs on my 2008 Touring.
    One had failed, and I figured I'd replace them both.
    (I used some Hella Yellow bulbs:
    - I like the look)

The bulbs were pretty easy to install (thanks to info from PriusChat) and work fine.

But their aim points seem to be VERY different - in terms of up/down (not left/right).

Is it possible to install the bulbs rotated 180 degrees out of alignment?

And, on the driver's side, the wiring harness was barely log enough to allow me to twist and lock the bulb in place. I installed the new bulb in exactly the same orientation as the one I removed, so, due to the wiring harness, it was equally difficult to twist, unlock and remove the old bulb. It almost seemed, based on the length of the wiring harness, that the driver's side bulb was rotated 180 degrees in the wrong direction. But I assumed the original bulb was correctly installed, so installed the new one in the same orientation.

It is very difficult to see up there where the bulb plugs into the back of the Fog light housing.

But does the push-engage-twist housing allow the bulb to be installed 180 degrees out of the correct position? Or maybe 120 degrees or something?

Or are the bulbs themselves 'sided' (as in Drivers verses Passenger) - I've already thrown out the packaging :-(

Many thanks!

#1 drewtx, Nov 3, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's more likely that the bulb isn't seated properly. Especially because of the difficult access to reach the bulbs. Reseat the bulbs.

SCH-I535

3. drewtx

drewtx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good point. I'll try re-seating them over the weekend.
    I didn't have access to my ramps last weekend, so I kinda cheated and rolled each front corner up a kurb to get access underneath. But I'll use my ramps this time to gain additional ground clearance.
    Thank You!