1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New key won't program

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ratuski, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Ratuski

Ratuski New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2007 prius, it is not a smart key (needs to be plugged into the dash to start the car). We lost one key so got the dealer to order us a new key. We brought the car into the dealership to have it programmed and they said they could not program it. The key will unlock the car but won't start it. They said they will need to do a full computer diagnostic to find out what the problem is and don't know how much that will cost. any ideas why the key will not program. We also tried when we got home programming it ourselves using the instructions we found on other posts on this site. It did not work either.

2. Yakoma

Yakoma Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I programmed one using the chicken dance. The first time didn't work. I learned later that I didn't wait long enough (about 2 minutes) before the key light stopped flashing. Note that he pauses the camera between about 1:10 and the time the key light stops flashing.

Don't know specifically what key you had, but if the procedure was anything like this one, you might give it one more try. Otherwise, you've probably either got a bad key or your ECU is maxed out on the number of keys it can make (I think it's like 5).