1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New member - skid ECU, neutral gear and MFD question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by PLB-389, Feb 1, 2010.

1. PLB-389

PLB-389 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone,

As this is my first post allow me to introduce myself. My name's Peter and I own a late '05 Prius.

I was wondering a few things:

1. Has anyone had experience accessing the skid ECU on RHD prii? I've got the workshop manual for the LHD version and am specifically wondering if the ECU is in the same position as LHD or the mirrored position (i.e is it up in passenger's side in my RHD car or is it in the driver's side of the dash?) I'd like to know before I tear down the thing as I don't actually want to take the ECU out, just access the pins.

2. I've heard of glitches causing momentary overspeeding of MG1 if you pop it into neutral above a certain speed. I'm doing some aero testing and I plan to pop it into neutral repeatedly at speeds of up to 100km/h (to measure resistance to motion). Will I bugger up MG1 or is that not a concern?

3. Has anyone tried to install the Coastal Tech Lockpick device on an Aussie spec prius? Mine is the i-tech, which has the dvd-based navigation and an in-dash 6CD stacker, but no factory DVD (don't think this was ever an option in australia). I'd like to use the MFD to run an in-car PC, and this seemed like the bit of gear I need.

Cheers,
    Peter

2. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know about these "glitches" with popping it into neutral...

But heres whats going to happen:

If the engine is on and you put it into neutral, there is no risk of overspeeding MG1. The engine will idle.

If the engine is off and you put it into neutral, then engine will stay off, and there's a risk of overspeeding MG1's 10,000 rpm rated maximum if you go over 64mph...

conclusion: you should be safe... just keep in mind that the prius is designed to force the engine to turn on after it hits 41-42mph.

3. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had my '04 up to 68 - 70 mph in neutral with the engine off.
    MG1 didn't explode, but I don't think it was the most efficient
    set of conditions I could have run with.
    _H*

4. PLB-389

PLB-389 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for that info - as I said, its only to measure aero and rolling resistance to motion, so once I have that data I don't plan on replicating those conditions too often...

Now I just need to find a strip of road long and flat and (most importantly) empty enough to coast down from 100km/h to zero...which might mean some very late night runs down the motorway. (the traffic monitoring room guys are going to wonder who the weirdo in the prius is)

5. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1. The RHD skid ECU is located in the driver's side of the dash.
    2. The ICE continues to run in idle speed when you shift into neutral at 100 km/h.
    3. no idea
    Ken@Japan