1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Mexico Solar Array: An Anecdote of Large Array Costs in 2013

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by SageBrush, Jan 16, 2013.

1. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Army’s largest solar array dedicated in New Mexico | KOB.com

The article says $16.8 million for an array that collects 10 million kwh a year. I'm not really sure about details since the military is paying Siemens, but using the numbers as given, assuming 25 years of current yield without repair, no maintenance, and inflation of utility electricity about matching a loan interest rate, I come up with:

16.8*10^6 dollars / 250 * 10^6 kwh = 6.72 cents a kwh.

I have my fingers crossed. If the real number is anywhere close then PV is going to replace fossil fuels fast.

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    iClaudius likes this.
  3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Would it be correct to say that PV efficiency is still increasing, while wind-energy conversion efficiency has about plateaued? I think this is important for the timing of future energy projects.

4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Bigger blades, higher altitude. I don't really know where they will stop. I gather a typical wind farm these days collects about 3 kwh/watt*year. PV has a long way to go to catch up.

5. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    "Construction took 8 months". That's a real quick ROI, if not a real large ROI. For a utility plant of any technology, that's virtually overnight. Once the total economic cost (just not the Cent/kWh) crosses the threshold, these can go up nearly as fast as panels can be made.

6. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In the net, PV efficiency (watts per Sq meter) has not really increased much in the last while. What has changes is the price of PV moduals has fallen like a stone. I can now by PV for well under $1/watt today, about 1/5 the price ten years ago. (and that is retail!)

Given that, it really doesn't matter so much about efficincy, but net kwh cost of the power output.
    Don't know much about the net efficincy of wind.

Icarus.