1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Optima 12v Yellow Top D51 battery with Pencil Posts

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Joemontx, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Joemontx

Joemontx New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A problem beginning to plague many Prius owners is not the big Nickel Metal Hydride battery that drives the Prius' HSD system like people have been scared into believing for years. No, instead it's the 12V battery - the one that actually starts the car and runs all of the accessories - that is starting to die on many Prius owners. For a few years now, PriusChatters have been buying the Optima Yellow Top battery and slightly modifying it to work with the Prius. Optima has now announced that they have a direct replacement for the factory 12V battery, no modifications required. Check out the press release below for more information.
    OPTIMA® Batteries Introduces New Product, Toyota® Prius Battery Replacement New YellowTop® battery is OPTIMA Batteries’ first direct fit battery replacement for Toyota Prius September 19, 2011 (MILWAUKEE) –OPTIMA® Batteries now offers a direct fit replacement for the 2004 and newer Toyota Prius®. This new 12-volt AGM battery is the first OPTIMA product to provide a direct fit replacement for the Toyota Prius. The Toyota Prius community, that has had limited battery replacement options in the past, will clearly benefit from this new product. The YellowTop product (model number DS46B24R) will be available to Toyota Prius drivers starting today. It integrates with the current Toyota OE vent system, does not require special installation, making installation easy for technicians and consumers alike, and of course, with all OPTIMA Batteries comes a longer lifespan (up to two times longer than traditional batteries). The product is similar in size to the OPTIMA Group 51 Battery, but with T1 (pencil) posts. Besides simply being a direct fit replacement for the Toyota Prius, the new battery features deep cycle dependability, over 15 times more vibration resistance compared to traditional batteries, and a long shelf life thanks to the low self-discharge rate. “Toyota Prius owners are incredibly passionate about their vehicles,” says Cam Douglass, director of product development and marketing for OPTIMA Batteries. “We wanted give them more options for replacing their auxiliary batteries.” As the global leader in high-performance automotive and marine batteries, OPTIMA Batteries pushes to be ahead of the technology curve in order to be The Ultimate Power Source™. The new battery, which has a spill-proof and maintenance-free design (like all OPTIMA Batteries), is proof of the brand’s focus on quality. The YellowTop battery can be purchased at shop.optimabatteries.com or at a number of OPTIMA dealers nationwide. For additional product information or to identify a dealer, visit OptimaBatteries.com.​

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I hope that Elearnaid will carry it directly, since their 2004+ kit is now obsolete. This is fantastic news!

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    The only amazing thing here, is how long it took Optima to figure out who their big customer is/was.
    :p

1 person likes this.
  4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The funny part is that I recall seeing a post saying that Optima has been selling the D51 w/the proper size terminals for the Prius but not just in the US, for some reason.

5. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If they had released it 6 months ago, I wouldn't have bought the Toyota replacement.

6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Yell when pricing is out.

7. GSW

GSW PRIUS POWER

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Awesome! Good to hear cause its almost time for my 2010 battery to start playing tricks on my ECM.

8. gak27

gak27 Prius, Take Two

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :eek:$199.99 according to the website:eek:

9. gbarry

gbarry Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That may be stupid-expensive, but doesn't Toyota want like $125 for theirs anyway?

Speaking of stupid, the battery that I want is the one that disconnects itself when I leave the dome light on ;)

10. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota is up to $140 I think, but I would not pay $200. Maybe the store price will be competitive.

11. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    $199 is MSRP, same as D51 and D51R. Other retailers i.e. Amazon ought to sell it for a similar price to D51, such as $159.99

1 person likes this.
  12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    No - stupid is buying the same OEM that can easily be killed via abuse, in the 1st place - IMO. Considering the Optima can actually survive being abused multiple times, and come back smiling, we find that it's a bargain.

13. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you buy from dealerships around Ohio, they are asking for $165+ for the OEM battery anyway.

14. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well, you shouldn't have told them you went to U of M.

Tom

4 people like this.
  15. SmogSlide

SmogSlide Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Any news that they will bring it to Australia?

16. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    They sell it in Europe as YTS 2.7J. You could try contacting an Optima rep in Australia to see if they carry it, or the new one DS46B24R. You could always get a D51 and do the terminal conversion, which is not hard.

17. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When I viewed this thread Optima was the top banner ad - I clicked it for the heck of it and on their web site was another link - they wanted me to friend them on facebook for access to special offers - I did and they have a 15% off + free shipping code. That brings the price down to $170. Given this is a new product here in the US it might be the least expensive that you will find it for a while - until stock flows to retailers.

So - I guess to be a good customer clink on the link thru PriusChat so they get the click-thru credit and then use the link to like Optima on facebook where they will show you the coupon code of OPTIMA15 - it needs to be all caps - it is good until the end of September.

2 people like this.
  18. billnchristy

billnchristy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I've used red tops in my regular cars for years and they are amazing. I even left the dome light on in my SHO in below freezing weather in NY and it cranked right up in the morning.

19. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I got charged $2.90 for shipping -- maybe that is the kickback to PC. Anyway, I got one to put in the Prius I am rebuilding, and will post a review in a week.

20. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Optima Red Top batteries are good for normal cars as the are built to produce cranking amps, but are NOT deep discharge batteries. The Yellow-top batteries are deep discharge (but are not good at supplying high amperage which a Prius does not need).

JeffD